air bubbles on rock (is it cyano?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pspiegel

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am just nearing the end of the cycling process (i think/hope) and my live rock I have been noticing a ton of silver air bubbles on the rock.. i remember on my old aquarium the risk of cyano during cycling..

how do I tell if it is due to cyano or if these are just air bubbles from lack of circulation down deep?

not at all, it just looks like little air bubbles stuck to the rock (they are clear in color and if i brush my hand over them they go away pretty easily), i assume they are just air bubbles, but I just wanted to make sure!

if they are just air bubbles, is there a specific technique using an additional powerhead to make it all work without having bubbles stuck on the rock?

Usually you`ll see the cyano and then a bunch of air bubbles. An additional PH pointed there will make sure that cyano does not take residence there.

How long are you lights on? Degassing is a sign of photosynthesis. Shorten your photoperiod while the nutrient levels are being worked on.

Diatoms yet? I noticed that after my diatoms came in I had a bunch of tiny bubbles like you mentioned on the surface of it. Assumed it was something to do with the nutrient cycle of the stuff. All gone now, thanks to the cleanup crew.

lights are on for about 8-12 hours a day usually.

not sure what a diatom is so I can't tell you if I have them or not.. i take it they are bad?

Diatoms come near the end of your cycle. They generally die off rather quickly.

what are they exactiy/how do i tell if I have them? does anyone have a good picture?

As the tank matures, algae will start to grow (usually around week 2 or 3). Typically brown algae, otherwise known as diatoms, will be the first algae that shows up in the tank. Brown algae will usually cover everything in the tank and need to be cleaned every week or so. With time green algae should overtake the diatoms and the brown algae will disappear all together. If it doesn't, there might not be enough light for the green algae to out-compete the diatoms.
got this from;
http://faq.thekrib.com/sbegin-longterm.html

thank you! that has happened, i have had brown algae for a week or so, i am now noticing green algea on the rocks and some of the stringy plant life growing on the rocks as well, i still am getting brown algea though so I think i need to add some snails and more hermit crabs.. or is there a better type of crab than hermit?

i just added three snails and four more hermit crabs bringing the total to 9 crabs and 3 snails in a 14 gallon tank... we'll see how they do! one of the snails is more interested in attaching itself to the shell of one of the crabs right now it seems though..

Back
Top Bottom