Airators in SW Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How come it looks like airators are not used in SW. My husband keeps telling me to put an air hose in so that there will be bubbles coming up from behind the rocks (he's used to FW tanks). If I do this to please him will it hurt anything?

Because when the bubbles burst they send up a spray that collects on the top of the tank and lighting and equipment called Salt Creep. It looks quite ugly when seen.

It could very well help if you have packed rocks so there is little water flow behind rockwork, but as Melosu stated, they do provide quite a bit of salt creep. They can also be used as a backup in case power goes out (airlines are cheaper to run than pumps).

Oh, ok. I've seen the "salt creep" just didn't know what it was called. I get it around the filter and on the light cover. Thanks for the info.

on a side note air pumps are not needed for most fw tanks too. its more for looks then anything in most cases.

The only other concern would be D.O. over-saturation and excessive micro bubbles affecting fish.

Another concern might be the use of the airstone can drive out too much co2 from the water column and you could end up with high pH problems.

Well crap! What I did was set up a filter sponge with the air in the corner of the tank. I thought that kill two birds with one stone theory and use the sponge in my QT when I need it. But I don't want to harm my fish... I'll post a pic so y'all can tell if I should take it out or not.

I know my tank needs lots of work and more live rock... but here it is. Oh, and I'm pretty sure my clown is pregnant.

DSC_3540.jpg

lol, yeah. I normally only take pics in the evening so I don't get the outside reflections :)
While I'm at it...could I benefit from a small protein skimmer?

You're at a size that does not really need a skimmer. PWC's is your best and most efficent way to reduce tds and nitrates.

I doubt the sponge filter is going to have a negative effect on your tank unless you don't clean/rinse it weekly/bi-weekly.

Back
Top Bottom