Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im starting to get algae on my sand bed only where theres light hitting, i geed every 3rd day and i have 165watt full spectrum leds have them set

so blues run 10-12
All lights 12-9
And blues 9-12

Any ideas?

Oh ya i use rodi pretty much brand new only like 2 months old, algae is brown almost like brown cyano or diatoms, run GFO so i think it moght be cyano? And ideas of how to get ride of it, also on other side of tank where my wp40 fits the wall then some of the wayer is pushed to the bottom along the sand bed it isnt growing there? So thats another reason i think its cyano but cant really crank up the wp40 much seems to be to powerfull for tank and stirs up sand alot, its a 110 5ft across tank

Cyano is red and is easily sucked up with water change tubing. While algae not so easy. It also smells strong when out of the water. I lowered the timing on my lights and it removed all algae for me.

Really? How else would you know then. Because of the easy removal or what? You have alot more knowledge than me so I bow out here.

That brown green colour just looks like high phosphates to me.
Although the sand surrounding that looks pinkish red but I think that's your like. Why not get you phosphates tested And if there is any get some rowa-phos

I'd think diatoms from the pic

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Being a new tank ,
Diatoms are more likely ?
Until the silicates are gone the diatoms have what they consume.
They shouldn't last long it's probably better just to leave it and let nature do it's thing .

Thats what ima do ill give it like another 2-3 weeks if not then ill take some action

Ok startin to think its dino again, tore down my tank cause i had dino and redid everything, lighting was at 80% then 70% just turned them down to 60% really hope its not but im starting to get that snot again, scared that it might have came from the RBTA i just bought, cause i think i saw one snot on it when i put it in my tank, and if im running GFO should i be having little hair algae looking strands?

The snot from the anemone could be what ever it ate ,
It's mouth is also where it expels waste from .
Stress is another reason for it to expel waste .
Colour and appearance is a sure sign of a anemones health .
If you are having diatoms , it would be a new tank.
Housing a anemone in a new tank is only asking for trouble .
Cyano bacteria is a indication of high nutrients . Either nitrates , phosphates .
Anemones require good water quality with low nutrients this could be the reason for the slime, snot being expelled .
Have you tested ?
Some test might be 0 or low but seeing algae you will not be able to test the levels cause the nitrates , phos is being used by the algae .

Back
Top Bottom