Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2005, 04:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
My ammonia levels have been at zero for a few days now...i dont know what that means....but i think thats good

Old 02-25-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

whats your nitrite and nitrate readings? how long has the tank been up and running?

Old 02-25-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

the tank has been going for about 3 weeks...maybe a month. NitrITES are at zero. However, recently my NitRATES have been on the high side i believe 40.

Also, how can I control the pH. My pH has been high when i've been testing.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by matman
the tank has been going for about 3 weeks...maybe a month. NitrITES are at zero. However, recently my NitRATES have been on the high side i believe 40.

Also, how can I control the pH. My pH has been high when i've been testing.
Your cycle has not started yet. When it does, you will see ammonia spikes. I find it odd that you are seeing nitrate already, without ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates are the outcome of broken down nitrites and ammonia. What kind of test kit are you using? Are you sure it's a SW kit, and not a FW kit?

Also, what is your pH reading? With your salt and everything added in already, your pH should be about perfect. I'm suspecting again that maybe you aren't using a reliable test kit, or are testing your pH with a FW kit.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

OH.....MY.......GOODNESS.

I would like to admit EXTREME stupidity. My testing kit was for freshwater. I feel so stupid. Thank you for bringing that to my attention Devilish.

Wow.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:30 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matman
OH.....MY.......GOODNESS.

I would like to admit EXTREME stupidity. My testing kit was for freshwater. I feel so stupid. Thank you for bringing that to my attention Devilish.

Wow.
No problem! Glad we got it figured out. Now get testing!

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, so. It turns out my testing kit is for both Fresh AND Saltwater. There is another label in the box that gives you the saltwater readings. Everything seemed normal. Ammonia is at 0. So are the Nitrites. The Nitrates are the only things that are on the high side still...around 40. The label says 40 is the highest it can be in the "safe" range.

This is confusing...being a newbie stinks!
Old 02-27-2005, 12:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

if thats the case, that amonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is 40 then your cycle might be finished. my cycle only lasted about 2 weeks with my 10 gallon. but i would keep testing for a few weeks before adding anything else to see if its stable.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:40 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with mle421. Sounds like your cycle is done, or almost there. Still, give it a few days or more and keep testing to make sure nothing comes up. Also, from the sounds of your description of the test kit, I'm going to venture a guess that you are using a strip, and not liquid kit? Am I right? If so, it's best (especially with SW) to have a liquid test kit. Readings are much more accurate this way.

A nitrate level of 40 is a tad on the high side, but nothing to freak out about yet. I would do a small water change tommorow, since you have the clown in there.
Speaking of which, how is Mr or Mrs clown fish doing?

Old 02-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, actually, I have 2!

I added another recently, and both are doing very well! I was told that adding another clown was a risk seeing as how they are territorial, but they get along great! I turned on the light this morning to find them both hanging out in the corner of my tank together. Too cute. They are very hardy fish. The newest one will swim across the front of the tank and skim the surface of the water with his fin. Its very cool, and they eat the food right from my fingers!

I will give it a couple of days, and i'll post pictures if i add anything soon!!

Thanks!

p.s. The fish names are Cowboy and Jack

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com