Algae, algae and more algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mamaslilocean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank has been running for a little over a week. A few days ago we noticed this 'dust' all over the LR. Its brown to olive green? I read something on diatoms? Is this what it is? Also I have cyano on 2 of the LR and I've noticed a few little spots of aptasia (white hair-like growth) I prefer not to use Chemicals so if the are any snails, crabs, shrimp ect... I'd rather get them. But if chemicals will help me better i'll probably do it.

its diatoms they will go away within a few weeks once the life on your rock really blossoms and takes over

Ok, so the diatoms will clear yay. Now as for theother stuff I I think it's because I bought a used tank in the smup is rather dirty full of detritus worms, cleaningit out tonight. we are thinking of getting a peppermint shrimp for the aptasia but not sure if it will get along with our arrow crab. does anyone know if these 2 can coexist?

Usually the worms a good sign your tank is doing well. They keep things cleaned up so you don't end up with ammonia spikes from rotting food or dead animals you might not be able to reach. Peppermint shrimp can be hit or miss when it comes to aiptasia. I have never had an arrow crab but from the little research I don't think keeping it with shrimp would be a good idea.

When you moved your tank did you clean out the sump before setting it back up?

No we did not clean it. Let me explain why... About a week ago found a craigslist posting, the guy wanted it out of the house so bad he said he would deliver the whole thing. 65g, cabinet, wet/dry, canister, 50% of the water, LR, fish, inverts, lights and tons of accessories, DIRT CHEAP! He left the livestock in the tank with less than 3inches of water and the substrate overnight till he delivered it to us early in the morning (an hour of traveling in this tank with crushed coral seems terrible to me)! I felt that the livestock were more than likely stressed and 1st priority was to get them settled. The filtration system has more than a few worms its loaded ! I'll attach a picture. It seem that very little maintenance was done with this set up, its a shame.

the bioballs can become nitrate factories and cause algae to grow in your tank later

I hear this a lot, that its better to have LR but I see beautiful setups at all the local restaurants (we live in a touristy area on the beach ) and LFS and almost all have bioballs. Their fish, coral and everything else look great so Im not too concerned with them.

Really it isn't in that bad of shape. As bavass said the bioballs are bad news for the nitrates. Next time you do a PWC rinse off several of them. Have you checked into making the sump into a fuge by using the chamber that has bioballs a place to put the algae? The worms usually aren't that big of deal.
Worm Hitch Hikers
If you have bristle worms consider them a part of the CUC.

Do you know what kind of fish you have?

Here is what i have:

Livestock:
2 yellow tail blue damsels
Large green brittle star
Arrow crab
5 mine urchins
5 turbo snails
3 mexican snails (1 is a baby)
Brown button polyps
Dozens of 'micro' brittle stars

My concern with the worms is that the guy we bought it from emptied the sump the night prior to bringing it to us, so im sure the cant live w/o water so the must of died right? sorry i should of said this earlier....

Really it isn't in that bad of shape. As bavass said the bioballs are bad news for the nitrates. Next time you do a PWC rinse off several of them. Have you checked into making the sump into a fuge by using the chamber that has bioballs a place to put the algae? The worms usually aren't that big of deal.
Worm Hitch Hikers
If you have bristle worms consider them a part of the CUC.

Do you know what kind of fish you have?

Another great link! Adding to to my 'library'. Thank you!

All is working out guys!! Got the protein skimmer working, my hubby and I took it apart and figured it out. The worms were 'crispy' ugh! cleaned it out and now things look great!

Back
Top Bottom