Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation Algae, algae and more algae!

So my tank has been running for a little over a week. A few days ago we noticed this 'dust' all over the LR. Its brown to olive green? I read something on diatoms? Is this what it is? Also I have cyano on 2 of the LR and I've noticed a few little spots of aptasia (white hair-like growth) I prefer not to use Chemicals so if the are any snails, crabs, shrimp ect... I'd rather get them. But if chemicals will help me better i'll probably do it.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #2

How bad is this? Im worried that if I cant control this my tank is doomed!!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

its diatoms they will go away within a few weeks once the life on your rock really blossoms and takes over
Old 05-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

First relax you should just be cycling your tank, diatoms is part of starting a new tank they usually burn themselves out.
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Nuisance Algae ID Guide
It is best to figure out what is causing algae and then attack it that way instead of depending completely on a CUC.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

Ok, so the diatoms will clear yay. Now as for theother stuff I I think it's because I bought a used tank in the smup is rather dirty full of detritus worms, cleaningit out tonight. we are thinking of getting a peppermint shrimp for the aptasia but not sure if it will get along with our arrow crab. does anyone know if these 2 can coexist?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Usually the worms a good sign your tank is doing well. They keep things cleaned up so you don't end up with ammonia spikes from rotting food or dead animals you might not be able to reach. Peppermint shrimp can be hit or miss when it comes to aiptasia. I have never had an arrow crab but from the little research I don't think keeping it with shrimp would be a good idea.

When you moved your tank did you clean out the sump before setting it back up?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

No we did not clean it. Let me explain why... About a week ago found a craigslist posting, the guy wanted it out of the house so bad he said he would deliver the whole thing. 65g, cabinet, wet/dry, canister, 50% of the water, LR, fish, inverts, lights and tons of accessories, DIRT CHEAP! He left the livestock in the tank with less than 3inches of water and the substrate overnight till he delivered it to us early in the morning (an hour of traveling in this tank with crushed coral seems terrible to me)! I felt that the livestock were more than likely stressed and 1st priority was to get them settled. The filtration system has more than a few worms its loaded ! I'll attach a picture. It seem that very little maintenance was done with this set up, its a shame.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	37590
Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the bioballs can become nitrate factories and cause algae to grow in your tank later
Old 05-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
the bioballs can become nitrate factories and cause algae to grow in your tank later
I hear this a lot, that its better to have LR but I see beautiful setups at all the local restaurants (we live in a touristy area on the beach ) and LFS and almost all have bioballs. Their fish, coral and everything else look great so Im not too concerned with them.

Tags
algae, aptasia, cyano, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com