Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Thanx but no.....

It's highly unlikely that any municipal water source has 0 nitrates. Where are you from?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC
Im also using the 5 in 1 test strip which has off white as 0 then light pink as 20. there is no pink so I'd say closer to zero than 20

Old 06-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
Thanx but no.....

probably... you'd be much better off getting some liquid test kits. Much more accurate and reliable.

Anyway. Let's presume that your adding nitrates/phosphates/silica to your tank thru tap water (to some degree). That coupled with possibly overfeeding, an over abundance of sunlight (esp with the change in season) is probably your algae culprit.

Keep in mind that the algae, as it grows, will be consuming your nitrates.. So a low test won't mean that you don't have any.. only that the growing algae is eating it to grow. If you end up w/ a green carpet of algae and low nitrates don't point to the low nitrates and think they are not the issue. It'll just be that your algae farm is eating them.

You should be able to get your local water results online from your municipality (or where ever your water comes from).

Cut down on the feeding
Use RO/DI water if you can
religious water changes
If it get real bad, go dark for a week or 2
Watch the light cycle and sunlight.

and you'll get there...

BTW: Thank you for your service. It is much appreciated. Stay safe.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the Capt...and also on the serving our Country and keeping us free!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for all the help.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck with the algae problem and also thanks for serving. My father is a 20 year veteran.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

As with all here, "Thank you for your Service".
Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlion View Post
I have had two outbreaks of brown diatoms in my sand and my tank has been set up for six months. From what I have heard and read it is normal for a newly established tank. I found that fewer feedings and less time with the lights on helped it go away on it's own. Try that and see if the brown diatoms go away. The green algae I'm not so sure about.
Hi, please pardon me for barging in here but I've got a question. I'm currently having a similar problem with diatoms in my 2 tanks (29g & 60g) but both are well established. Both have been up for over a year now. Anyway, I read something on some other fish forum (sorry, I know it's sacrilege) that said with diatoms, you need to increase light. I thought, "huh?" Light makes things grow doesn't it? At least that's what they said in school!?! Sooooo, is there something to this? Do tell!!! Or is this just a typo per se? Oh, I'm gonna do water changes on both tanks and see if this makes Mr. Brown and icky go away. And I cut my light back too. It was 8 hrs. total a day but now it's 6. I don't have any real plants but the fish like it. Those are the only thing I can think of to do at the moment but if you've got any ideas, I'm all ears. Just kidding.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Brad, just let it burn out, no big deal. We welcome links and such (as long as they are correct) for other sites. Variety is the best....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« First fish | Yes! »