algae and diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicasmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So Ive had this tank for about a month now. It is already cycled do to the fact that everything in it came from other aquariums. My readings are:
NO3 = 20ppm
NO2 = 0
KH = 250ppm
pH = 8.4
ammonia= 0.2ppm

My problem is my LR is covered in coraline but now it is being taken over by a green algae and my sand is starting a growth of brown spots that I think are diatoms. The sand is the only thing that did not come from a mature tank. I purchased a sleeper goby and he seems to enjoy the "diatoms" but the green algae I'm not sure about.

Any thoughts on what the green algae is and what to do about it

I have had two outbreaks of brown diatoms in my sand and my tank has been set up for six months. From what I have heard and read it is normal for a newly established tank. I found that fewer feedings and less time with the lights on helped it go away on it's own. Try that and see if the brown diatoms go away. The green algae I'm not so sure about.

Your nitrate reading is on the high side. Do a PWC, followed by another one a few days later and that should bring that down and slow your Green algae and diatom growth. As stated above, cut the lights down, limit feedings and with the PWC you should be good to go.

OK, I did a 25% water change today and will do another in a couple of days. Hopefully that will help. I turned the lights off all day today.

Just so you know, there are some in the saltwater field that would die for a 20ppm nitrate reading. Your diatoms are a normal part of a new tank and use silica (often found in tapwater and common non-argonite sand ; play sand/pool sand/etc) They'll die out on their own. What kind of sand did you use? Tap or Ro/DI water?

regarding the algae, the nitrates don't help however the other contributing factors would be a) any direct/indirect sunlight hitting the tank? How long do you have the lights on? How old are the lamps?

FWIW: a lot of us go through algae spurts in the summer months due to the intensity of the sun changing, the direction of the sun and the duration of the day changing. With the increase in the ambient temperature of municipal water sources the water company will begin to adjust the treatment process to keep the water supply within acceptable parameters. This could mean adding things that adversely affect your tank (assuming you use tapwater).

Aragonite sand but i do use tap water, lights are a week old I just changed to more suitible lighting for reefs

The change in lights may be contributory. You're likely getting nitrates, phosphates and silica from your tap water. Nitrates and Phosphates are food for your algae. Combine that with light (new/sun/too much) and you have what it takes to grow algae.

If you get your tap tested at least you'll know how much you are adding during water changes.

There is also a window in the room that has direct sunlight shining through curtains just before dusk so I have covered it with a more "permenant" thick curtain and I tested my tap water everything is good but I don't have anything to test for phosphates or silica. I appreciate all the help.
I feed my fish twice a day can i get by with maybe every other day

Feeding: Easily

What were the readings of your tapwater? Not sure what 'good' is

It's highly unlikely that any municipal water source has 0 nitrates. Where are you from?

Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC
Im also using the 5 in 1 test strip which has off white as 0 then light pink as 20. there is no pink so I'd say closer to zero than 20

probably... you'd be much better off getting some liquid test kits. Much more accurate and reliable.

Anyway. Let's presume that your adding nitrates/phosphates/silica to your tank thru tap water (to some degree). That coupled with possibly overfeeding, an over abundance of sunlight (esp with the change in season) is probably your algae culprit.

Keep in mind that the algae, as it grows, will be consuming your nitrates.. So a low test won't mean that you don't have any.. only that the growing algae is eating it to grow. If you end up w/ a green carpet of algae and low nitrates don't point to the low nitrates and think they are not the issue. It'll just be that your algae farm is eating them.

You should be able to get your local water results online from your municipality (or where ever your water comes from).

Cut down on the feeding
Use RO/DI water if you can
religious water changes
If it get real bad, go dark for a week or 2
Watch the light cycle and sunlight.

and you'll get there...

BTW: Thank you for your service. It is much appreciated. Stay safe.

I agree with the Capt...and also on the serving our Country and keeping us free!

Good luck with the algae problem and also thanks for serving. My father is a 20 year veteran.

I have had two outbreaks of brown diatoms in my sand and my tank has been set up for six months. From what I have heard and read it is normal for a newly established tank. I found that fewer feedings and less time with the lights on helped it go away on it's own. Try that and see if the brown diatoms go away. The green algae I'm not so sure about.

Hi, please pardon me for barging in here but I've got a question. I'm currently having a similar problem with diatoms in my 2 tanks (29g & 60g) but both are well established. Both have been up for over a year now. Anyway, I read something on some other fish forum (sorry, I know it's sacrilege) that said with diatoms, you need to increase light. I thought, "huh?" Light makes things grow doesn't it? At least that's what they said in school!?! Sooooo, is there something to this? Do tell!!! Or is this just a typo per se? Oh, I'm gonna do water changes on both tanks and see if this makes Mr. Brown and icky go away. And I cut my light back too. It was 8 hrs. total a day but now it's 6. I don't have any real plants but the fish like it. Those are the only thing I can think of to do at the moment but if you've got any ideas, I'm all ears. :sleeping: Just kidding.

Brad, just let it burn out, no big deal. We welcome links and such (as long as they are correct) for other sites. Variety is the best....

Back
Top Bottom