Algae and urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently finished my cycle and i started with tap water, so i have a lot of brown algae (diatoms). I want to get rid of them so i have been using distilled water (last two water changes). How long will it take for the diatoms to go away. I put some more live rock in the take that had coralline algae on it so that it would spread to my other rocks. I have also ben supplementing calcium (kent marine) into the water everyday. Will the urchin eat this algae or will it eat the coralline that i am desperately trying to grow? Will he harm my anemones?

Not sure about the diatoms or the anemone but I'm pretty sure they will get after the coraline.....

I'd suggest a healthy helping of turbo and astrea snails for the diatoms.... the algae will eventually burn itself out as long as your not over feeding etc....

Thanks I put him in the main tank. He was in my quarintine. he ihas just climbed on top of my rocks nd is eain some green algae. I also heard from my LFS that some company s spposed to be bringing out a product that you ca add to your tank t make oraline row. heard of this ?

There are alot of products, B-ionic, Kalkwasser, Red sea Calk, they all help balance the calcium and alk of the tank...... do a search... there's plenty of info....

You can also scrape the algae from time to time to release spores....

Scrape the coraline? I know of those but the product i am refering to atually adds coraline to the tank. it isn't calcium.

Diatoms (brown algae) Is part of all young tanks even after they have cycled..With do time it'll go away on its own.. The water wouldn't have made a difference... HTH

Don't worry about the urchin destroying you coraline. The rumors are way overblown IMO. I have 4, been in my tank over a year and my coraline is doing just fine.
You can always target feed him a nori strip a few times a week, that will keep him busy.

Back
Top Bottom