Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would increase FLOW in the area where the cyano is and see what happens if it goes away that was your problem flow.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

How does the SG effect cyano?
The only way to get rid of cyanobacteria is to do more water changes and be diligent about it. Even though you are not getting a reading for phosphates, the fact that the bacteria is there shows there is still some in your system. Do water changes several times a week to get ahead of it. Water changes will also help get rid of the nitrates in your system that may be a contributor. There is an article in AA's article section on cyano. Have a read.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=48

Old 01-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

cyanobacteria is usually caused by not enough flow. What are you on my back? I just pointed out that he may look into his parameters. Water changes wont alone get rid of cyano, Increasing water flow will. Water flow should be 10 to 20 times your main tank.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I disagree. I got rid of mine by doing water changes only and in all my research, this is what is recommended. I agree flow helps, as does lessening your lights and feeding but the only way to lower DOT, phos and nitrates is to do water changes. It has to be a combination of things, flow alone will help not let it settle in that area but it doesn't remove the problem.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low flow, phosphates,Nitrates, DOC, wrong spectrium lighting(old bulbs) are all factors in cyno. Start with one issue and go from there. If you feed a lot cut back if that does not help maybe add another power head if that does not help maybe some new bulbs and so on till its gone. Work on lowering the nitrates and when doing a water change suck up the cyno with a hose or turkey baster. Try not to blow it around the tank that will only help it sperad.
Its a battle you want to get started on sooner then later.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a spot of cyano show up in my tank last month. I freaked out and checked everything. All readings were 0. When I checked my RO/DI water I got a reading of .01 or .1 (do not remember) for phosphates My point is as someone stated earlier even though phosphates are not registering in you tank it has a fuel source. Probably your new water. I replaced the filters in the RO/DI unit and the cyano disappeared. Flow does not get rid of cyano it just will not get a "foothold" in a high flow area. Overfeeding could also be a issue.

Tags
algae, algae bloom, bloom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com