Algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have all these red algae all over my 20gal tank it has been set up almost a month now. My parameters are as follow:

PH - 8.2
Nitrate - 15
Nitrite - 0.0
Ammonia - 0.0
Phosphate - 0.0
Calcium - 420

I use de-ionised water and distilled water which I bought at supermarket any problem with that? I need to cure this problem before it becoming worse. Please help...

Attachments

• dcp_0003.jpg
    dcp_0003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 63
that looks like cyno to me, how much flow do u have in your tank? plus u might want to check the phosphate levels in the water u are using.oh yeah and it will get worse if u don't find whats causing it, what do u have for a bioload in your tank. how long do you leave your lights on?

Sorry to provide more infos my lights are 2 power compact 40w + 40w total 80w on 10 hours a day. Is this too much? Salinity 1.024 Thanks for your helps in advance.

My phosphate level is undetectable that's why I am curious how it get so bad. Could Nitrate at 15 alone causing this? Lights run 10 hours a day.

Yes I am using the Red Sea Calcium addictive. It also contains Strontium, Molybdenum & Iodine. I have also got 10 hermit crabs and a sand shifting star in the 20gal is that too much?

The better question is...what is the phosphate level of your top-off water? The cyano can be using up the phosphate just as fast as you introduce it.

Test the water that you use for top off and mixing water.

Ok first problem I see is SG should be at 1.026 if this is a reef tank.

I agree check the water that your using for changes and top off.

Good flow where the cyano is will get rid of it. You should have at least 300gph in flow..

You have a tds meter?>

Ok back to the original question . How much are you feeding.? this is an important because overfeeding is putting alot of DOC in the water that with nitrates is feeding the algea. Phosphates is not the only fuel for algea. Both questions were important. Not just the phosphate one. I would say that more times the overfeeding is the problem.

I would increase FLOW in the area where the cyano is and see what happens if it goes away that was your problem flow.

How does the SG effect cyano?
The only way to get rid of cyanobacteria is to do more water changes and be diligent about it. Even though you are not getting a reading for phosphates, the fact that the bacteria is there shows there is still some in your system. Do water changes several times a week to get ahead of it. Water changes will also help get rid of the nitrates in your system that may be a contributor. There is an article in AA's article section on cyano. Have a read.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=48

cyanobacteria is usually caused by not enough flow. What are you on my back? I just pointed out that he may look into his parameters. Water changes wont alone get rid of cyano, Increasing water flow will. Water flow should be 10 to 20 times your main tank.

I disagree. I got rid of mine by doing water changes only and in all my research, this is what is recommended. I agree flow helps, as does lessening your lights and feeding but the only way to lower DOT, phos and nitrates is to do water changes. It has to be a combination of things, flow alone will help not let it settle in that area but it doesn't remove the problem.

Low flow, phosphates,Nitrates, DOC, wrong spectrium lighting(old bulbs) are all factors in cyno. Start with one issue and go from there. If you feed a lot cut back if that does not help maybe add another power head if that does not help maybe some new bulbs and so on till its gone. Work on lowering the nitrates and when doing a water change suck up the cyno with a hose or turkey baster. Try not to blow it around the tank that will only help it sperad.
Its a battle you want to get started on sooner then later.

I had a spot of cyano show up in my tank last month. I freaked out and checked everything. All readings were 0. When I checked my RO/DI water I got a reading of .01 or .1 (do not remember) for phosphates My point is as someone stated earlier even though phosphates are not registering in you tank it has a fuel source. Probably your new water. I replaced the filters in the RO/DI unit and the cyano disappeared. Flow does not get rid of cyano it just will not get a "foothold" in a high flow area. Overfeeding could also be a issue.

Back
Top Bottom