Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Algae blooms

I'm sure this is a frequently asked subject. But I want to see some opinions. My tank is 3 months in. All levels are good. Tank seems cycled. But a week after I started the tank brown algae formed.. Now today I'm still dealing with a great deal of brown algae. But for 2 months now I've had green algea. Every day my glass is 100% covered in green. And sand bed 100% covered in brown.. With 50 lbs of live rock covered. Snails are going ti tiwn on the rock . But cant keep up. Led lights only run for 8 hours. Actinics for 10 hours.. I have a 150g with 2 serpents. 9 crabs and 15 trochus snails.. Just added 2 chromisis .. Any thoughts?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Brown algae is diatoms. Everyone get's them in new setups.
Here is a good article-
Hot Tips: Algae Control — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Brown are diatoms and natural for new tanks. They should start dying off soon as they consume the silicates from you sand and rock. The green seems as though your parameters might be off. Are you testing nitrate and phosphate? What kind of filtration are you running? Water parameters and a picture of you tank would help us help you figure out whats going on...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know it's a common thing. But people tell me 2-3 weeks and there gone.. It's been 3 months of it.. Lol
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All tests are clear. 0 phos. And 0 trates and trites. I forgot to mention. I am using primed tap water. But several guys in this area are doing the same. 40g tote in my basement . Primed heated and agitated for 3 or more days.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2274603930.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	148562

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2692128522.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	148564

Filtration has sand in fuge. Just no light skimmer or live rock yet.. I do have 2 corals in the tang with some macro algae. Corals look more than happy. And macro is growing 3-5 inches per day
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh. And picture of tank is after I cleaned it.. But all comes right back the next day. Lol
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Go to RO water. I was advised by my LFS to do prime and i got the brown algae. I did a couple changes with RO and its finally going away after 3 or 4 weeks. All the stuff in the tap is feeding it. RO will help for sure!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on the light brown stuff being diatoms. It will eventually disappear. Might take a bit longer than some estimates.
As for the algae, if you nitrates are 0 it's because the algae is consuming them all. You have a sump, put a cheato ball in there and a cheap CFL light from home depot and let the cheato (macro algae) consume the nitrates instead.
If you don't have any corals yet, seriously reduce your lights (or even leave them off a few days) to stop the tank from growing algae. Leave the sump lights on for 24/7.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have 2 corals in there. I turned the lights down to 4 hours a day for two weeks. Slowed algae down. But the next day I put them back to 8 hours. It took over my tank again.. I do have some macro in main tank. Haven't gotten a light for sump yet.. Also I have noticed at 6 a.m when I go to work.. Most brown algea is gone.. Snails are doin work!! But by 4 it's back to complete covered again

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com