Algae blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sure this is a frequently asked subject. But I want to see some opinions. My tank is 3 months in. All levels are good. Tank seems cycled. But a week after I started the tank brown algae formed.. Now today I'm still dealing with a great deal of brown algae. But for 2 months now I've had green algea. Every day my glass is 100% covered in green. And sand bed 100% covered in brown.. With 50 lbs of live rock covered. Snails are going ti tiwn on the rock . But cant keep up. Led lights only run for 8 hours. Actinics for 10 hours.. I have a 150g with 2 serpents. 9 crabs and 15 trochus snails.. Just added 2 chromisis .. Any thoughts?

Brown are diatoms and natural for new tanks. They should start dying off soon as they consume the silicates from you sand and rock. The green seems as though your parameters might be off. Are you testing nitrate and phosphate? What kind of filtration are you running? Water parameters and a picture of you tank would help us help you figure out whats going on...

I know it's a common thing. But people tell me 2-3 weeks and there gone.. It's been 3 months of it.. Lol

All tests are clear. 0 phos. And 0 trates and trites. I forgot to mention. I am using primed tap water. But several guys in this area are doing the same. 40g tote in my basement . Primed heated and agitated for 3 or more days.

image-2274603930.jpg

image-2692128522.jpg

Filtration has sand in fuge. Just no light skimmer or live rock yet.. I do have 2 corals in the tang with some macro algae. Corals look more than happy. And macro is growing 3-5 inches per day

Oh. And picture of tank is after I cleaned it.. But all comes right back the next day. Lol

Go to RO water. I was advised by my LFS to do prime and i got the brown algae. I did a couple changes with RO and its finally going away after 3 or 4 weeks. All the stuff in the tap is feeding it. RO will help for sure!

+1 on the light brown stuff being diatoms. It will eventually disappear. Might take a bit longer than some estimates.
As for the algae, if you nitrates are 0 it's because the algae is consuming them all. You have a sump, put a cheato ball in there and a cheap CFL light from home depot and let the cheato (macro algae) consume the nitrates instead.
If you don't have any corals yet, seriously reduce your lights (or even leave them off a few days) to stop the tank from growing algae. Leave the sump lights on for 24/7.

I have 2 corals in there. I turned the lights down to 4 hours a day for two weeks. Slowed algae down. But the next day I put them back to 8 hours. It took over my tank again.. I do have some macro in main tank. Haven't gotten a light for sump yet.. Also I have noticed at 6 a.m when I go to work.. Most brown algea is gone.. Snails are doin work!! But by 4 it's back to complete covered again

That's normal for the diatoms. Its a good sign too. Means the diatoms are eating the silicates and the snails are eating them. It will eventually disappear.
As for the algae, until you have something to light your sump you will have the problem. I got my clip on desk lamp for about $15 from home depot. Don't waste money on some expensive gimmick light when any old light will do. A desk lamp with a normal CFL bulb will do.

Dumb question .. How does a light in the fuge stop diatoms in the main tank?

A light in the fuge with a chaeto ball will consume nitrates very efficiently. It will even outcompete the algae in the main. Leave the lights on 24/7 in the fuge and reduce the lighting in the main until algae is gone. Trim the cheato periodically.

Here's mine.

Attachments

• image-3452546072.jpg
    image-3452546072.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 77
  • image-4273552282.jpg
    image-4273552282.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 79
I would only trim the chaeto when it's totally outgrown the refugium. The larger the algae mass, the more nutrients it will absorb.

My macro I have now is growing like crazy.. Not sure what it is tho. Kind of looks like minnie Lilly pads.. But as soon as I find a light it's going in the fuge

It says not used in aquariums... I wonder if those are pointless for what we use them for....

Back
Top Bottom