Algae Control(clean-up crew)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tchampion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any idea on how many snails, crabs, shrimp etc are needed to control algae in my 90hexagon tank. I realize that the number depends on the amount of algae, but what would be an average percentage or number per 10gallons? For example, in a 10 gallon tank, (assuming the pounds of rock are equal to the size of the tank) how many would be appropiate?

Hi, if I remember correctly the number is 1.5 per gallon so, 90 x 1.5 = 135

I would add some now and then if need be more later. is this a new tank? keep in mind they will need food too so you dont want to have too many. :-D

Fritz007 said:
Hi, if I remember correctly the number is 1.5 per gallon so, 90 x 1.5 = 135

Thanks Fritz... I knew the number would be close to 100. One othet question, by adding this many in the tank, should I expext another Ammonia spike (nitrites as well)? If so, maybe adding 25-30% at a time until I reach my limit would suffice?

You shouldnt see an ammonia spike if your tank is properly cycled and everything is good. :)

In my 125g 6 foot tank I have the following for clean up crew: 30 nassarius snails, 4 emerald crabs, 20 nerites and maybe 6 hermits.

It's easy to go overboard on CUC so just add what seems right to you. You can always add more.

The tank has been set up since the early Summer and It took about 2months for it to cycle. As this current moment, i have 3 Peppermint Shrimp, and a few fiddler crabs (7or8) that I picked up off the beach. There is plenty of algae for them to feast on. Not that my algae is way out of control, but they could eat for 6 months straight and never have to worry about where their next meal will come from... Lol.
I do like the idea of adding slightly lower than the 1.5/gallon. I think about 50 should give me an idea of where I stand; giving them a few months to see if they are making any progress.

Carey is right. You should never see an ammonia spike unless something large dies and is left in the water

Back
Top Bottom