Algae growth and live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey new to the hobby but is brown algae growth normal on live rock? Been running my lights for 10 hrs a day starting Thursday.

Hey new to the hobby but is brown algae growth normal on live rock? Been running my lights for 10 hrs a day starting Thursday.

Hi There,

Are you saying that you just filled the tank and started running it thursday? what are your current levels? have you cycled the tank? After my cycle I had a diatom bloom that was all brown all over the rock and the sand. Switched in some Chemipure and GFO in my filter added some sand cleaning livestock and reduced the 10ks to 8 hours and it eventually faded away.

Tank is fully cycled but light was just starting to be used when I got the fish from my LFS on Thursday. I have the light on a timer for when I go to work. My parameters are all normal except my nitrates were 20 ppm. I did a water change And I'm getting ready to check again.

It was hard to tell the color of the test tube due to my glasses being currently broken :(. So nitrates could have been a lower than 20ppm. However I did a water change to be safe anyways.

Back
Top Bottom