Algae help...... Repost (I think I posted it wrong before)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff.rice

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok folks..... I thought I had always heard to leave the back wall of the tank alone and it will come to life. I've tried to do that but over the past week or so I have started getting a lot of what looks to be hair algae in the tank...... And the back wall is getting slot on it as well. Would it be best for me to just leave it alone on the back glass or lightly scrape most of it off?!?! And am I correct in thinking that hair algae is good for tanks for nitrates and nitrites?!?!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399329460.267390.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399329503.670750.jpg

Algae is a good thing...but when you have large outbreaks like you are seeing this is a bad thing. It indicates large amounts of nitrates and phosphates in the water column. Using ro/di water for top off and water changes, large water changes to bring those levels down, minimize feedings to ~3 times a week...sparingly of course, and manual removal during water changes.
Algae issues is a long battle that won't be won over night. Keep up with it and you will reap the benefits of your patience and determination.

Back
Top Bottom