algae in refugium ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad15

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new 65 gallon has been up and running for approximately 4 weeks now. It just finished cycling and I added a couple of small fish. As it cycled, I left the lights off. In my sump however, with skimmer and chaeto, my refugium light is on 18 hrs a day. Now it appears I have a diatom growth and some sporadic hair algae on fuge walls, bubble trap, and on base of skimmer. My dt has nothing. I now have dt lights on for 4 hrs a day just to see fish. Parameters of water are ideal.

Sorry. Question is isn't hair algae a nuisance algae and since its present, should I be concerned? Also, I thought usually after or even during cycle, diatom blooms usually occur. So is it normal or even conceivable that I won't get them in dt since I'm only running lights for 4 hrs? And only get it in sump since chaeto light is on for 18?

It's considered a nuisance because it grows over things we put in intentionally such as corals, and many people don't like the look of it. In the refugium, it's actually serving a purpose.

Diatoms usually comes on and off in a newly set up tank so you don't have to worry about that. Not until its out of whack I'd say. You are right about not having it on your Dt because of the lights you only have it on for 4 hrs. I usually run my lights 12-14 hrs on my sump because I only have cheato.

Nothing is a nuisance in the refugium, except things that eat algae and pods, and 18 hours is not going to make a difference IMO.

Mr x.. Here's what I have been talking about.. I did a water change last night. Agitated the sand surface so it was decent looking. And here's what I came home to today.. This is by far the worst I've seen it! Please tell me it will all b gone tomorrow!! Lol

image-678333191.jpg

The snails are having a hard time! It's turned into a crust

image-3849232902.jpg

Agitating the sand does nothing except move it around. Now if you did a water change and waved the tube over the sand to actually remove it, that's different. Diatoms are a natural part of the tank maturing, but they accumulate in areas of low flow. Increasing flow helps keep them in check. All that being said, if this is the fuge, what's the problem?

This is my main display. And people said that this only lasts a few weeks in the start up process.. It's been 3 months and getting worse.....

Don't touch your sand and try to aim your powerheads up or if you point it downwards make sure its now blowing your sand. How much flow do you have?

Two overflow returns.. 600 gph. And one power head in the middle.. Tank is a 150.

Where are you getting 65 gallon?? My sump returns are 600 gph.. That's gallons per hour.. My tank is 150 gallons...

lol!! Ok i misread that. I thought this is your thread. It is brad15 who has 65gal. Anyway, your flow is not enough for a 150 gal. You want to have 35x-50x flow. I have 2700gph on my 55 gal.

High nutrient levels are also a factor. Water changes with good source water would help.
On the 150 gallon tank I maintain I have 4 x 1500 gph power heads plus 1400gph return (before head loss) and I feel the tank could use a bit more.

I was thinking that.. Bout the water.. But there are several guys in town that prime tap water like I do. And there tanks are thriving !! Idk what to think.. I'm trying to wait patently.. But my tank just straight up looks like hell.. I'm thinking about getting a uv sterilizer... And next 3 weeks I'll have an ro/di unit...

well also it could be your lighting as well. Providing incorrect spectrum will compound the issue when given enough nutrient .

That too... That's why I need a par meter... Anyone?? Anyone?? Lol

I was thinking that.. Bout the water.. But there are several guys in town that prime tap water like I do. And there tanks are thriving !! Idk what to think.. I'm trying to wait patently.. But my tank just straight up looks like hell.. I'm thinking about getting a uv sterilizer... And next 3 weeks I'll have an ro/di unit...

Skip the UV and get a nice sized powerhead to get that water moving. In my 55 I have 2 1050, 3 750, and 1 550 koralia powerheads along with a marineland something or other that equals a 1050 and the mag 7 return from my sump. This is a flow and nutrient issue. Powerheads and ro/di will solve this, it will just take time and effort. Chin up and push forward.

That too... That's why I need a par meter... Anyone?? Anyone?? Lol
PAR meter doesn't test spectrum. So it doesn't give you the information you need. I highly doubt anyone would be able to lend you a spectrometer tho as they mostly cost over 8k and that is the main reason I don't like to use flood light. The manufacturer doesn't have the spectrum reading and they won't bother to get those to you simply because it is not for aquarium uses or growing plants. If you want to go out and borrow one from someone, it is almost impossible cuz they are way too expensive and rarely anyone has it except labs.

Back
Top Bottom