Algae Issues, Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am having some green hair algae issues in my tank that are proving more difficult to rid then iv expected. My tank is 25 gallons reef, I have put Pura Phoslock in the tank 4 days ago and havent seen any difference. Iv done 2 50% water changes in the last week with little difference. My parameters are Perfect Ammonia, Nitrite at 0, Nitrate at <5ppm. other things I have done to battle this issue is added a Fuge to the tank with micro algae, added a Reef Octopus Bh1000 for the skimmer. Im really at a loss of what to do the only thing I can think of is my bio load is just to great. I thought it would be fine to have 6 fish in my tank but I think its just to much for that water volume.

Not that you have the info is there anything I should try to do before Setting up my 20gallon tank to put 2 of the fish in? In a few months Im going to upgrade my 40 gallon tank from freshwater to saltwater FOWLR and then Ill have the 2 fish in that tank. I think Ill just get 25lbs of dry rock this week and start cycling the 20 gallon then when im ready to switch over to my 40gal ill have all the rock ill need. What do you think?

My 75 went through a bad hair algae phase. I cut the photoperiod down by two hours a day and scrubbed the stuff, and cleaned my prefilters once the stuff got caught in them along with a couple of water changes and getting my skimmer dialed It's pretty much under control now, although I still grow some on my spraybar and a couple of my turbo snails have it growing on their shells. (Is that irony?) I also understood that low magnesium can result in it spreading, so checking that and dosing if necessary might help.

Yeah I'm really trying to get my skimmer to work perfectly the reef octopus i cannot figure out how to change the water level...

CleverBs said:
Yeah I'm really trying to get my skimmer to work perfectly the reef octopus i cannot figure out how to change the water level...

Lol. I'm having the same problem. I can't get enough air bubble either :(

Emerald crabs eat hair algae btw.

I don't do emerald crabs, they have destroyed a colony of Duncan's, a brain coral, and a small colony of zoas...also there's a lot of Algae covering all my rock.

I've never had any trouble out of emerald crabs. I have a hard time believing they ate healthy corals, especially if you didn't catch them red handed, but anything's possible I suppose. That said, I would not recommend them to cure algae problems.
You can raise the magnesium level to kill the algae.
You can try a sea hare.
I would suggest cutting back on feeding and increasing water changes if the algae is growing fast.
You raise or lower the collection cup to adjust the water height on those skimmers I believe.

I've never had any trouble out of emerald crabs. I have a hard time believing they ate healthy corals, especially if you didn't catch them red handed, but anything's possible I suppose. That said, I would not recommend them to cure algae problems.
You can raise the magnesium level to kill the algae.
You can try a sea hare.
I would suggest cutting back on feeding and increasing water changes if the algae is growing fast.
You raise or lower the collection cup to adjust the water height on those skimmers I believe.

I caught the crabs both red handed infact I got rid of both of them by pulling them off the corals they were eating. I am doing more water changes and I called reef octopus and they helped me with my skimmer issues so I think I have it working properly now. I'm not sure how to raise the magnesium levels so I'll do some research on how to do that. I would prefer not to add any more bioload to my tank so I'm going to try and figure out how to fix this issue that's causing that algae

Back
Top Bottom