Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
What are your nitrates and phosphates? I would clean everything off, do water changes once a week since you don't have a skimmer, test your water to make sure you have low nitrates and phosphates, and for the green hair algae, watch how long you leave your lights on. Was the tank new or used when you got it? I'm asking because you may need to replace the light bulb if it was used.
For hair algae to grow, it requires light, nitrate, phosphate and carbon dioxide. It thrives and grows when excess Dissolved Organic Carbons or DOC
’s in the water. You get DOC
's from over feeding.
first, thanks for the responses!
i'll def try the toothbrush.
the hair algae is white though, not green. does that make any difference?
i highly doubt its anything caused by me (lighting, overfeeding, negligence, etc) because it seems like all the rock i got from my favorite LFS
has some kind of action on it
HOWEVER, the only bulb i had was an old UVB reptile bulb. probably grows algae like crazy, which is why i only keep the light on for an hour or 2 right now.
can i get a skimmer since i have shrimp? or would i have to trade them back because it would kill them?
and i know its a dumb question, but do protein skimmers keep algae from growing?
again, thanks for the help!
i figure its good i brought the algae home cuz now i'll learn to treat it