Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Gesh...still over feeding? ok, I'll try what y'all suggest and see what happens

But I'm still pretty sure that it was the "drinking" water that caused all the mess. Cause if anything, my feeding habits have improved over the months. I used to feed them alot. I never saw them picking at rocks or chasing pods or eating algae off the glass like they do now. They're actually acting like fish now, not little lazy poo machines

When I do my PWC today, should I scrub everything or leave the algae for the new snails? If I hadn't just put the snails in there I wouldn't ask.

Weird how water, salt and a glass box can make you feel like a total idiot

Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I definitely agree with every other day feedings for your fish. I`m thinking that your phyto is the biggest contributor here. Your tank is too small for feeding that stuff and will foul your water quality up pretty quickly. I`d be willing to bet that if you stop the phyto, feed every other day, do frequent PWC`s with at least RO water and siphon out as much of the nuisance algea that you can that your tank should be OK in a month or so.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post

But I'm still pretty sure that it was the "drinking" water that caused all the mess. Cause if anything, my feeding habits have improved over the months. I used to feed them alot. I never saw them picking at rocks or chasing pods or eating algae off the glass like they do now. They're actually acting like fish now, not little lazy poo machines

When I do my PWC today, should I scrub everything or leave the algae for the new snails? If I hadn't just put the snails in there I wouldn't ask.

This brown dusty stuff seems to be a real jerk. Got to really get crazy with it!
Scrub the tank when you do PWC so that you can suck some of it out. That way you remove them along with whatever food they found to store up in themselves. Less food means less them.

Yeap, these tanks gave me OCD!
Matt
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:

haha "little lazy poo machines" probably made my morning.
I forgot to mention the drinking water. Definitely a cause in the algae bloom. I would scrub everything and suck it out. The snails will find something, there will always be algae.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, took the toothbrush to everything. At one point I wondered what a water pick would do, lol.
While I was at it, I scrubbed the 10g too.
Some of the algae on the side and back glass of my 29g is impossible to scrap off. It's almost flourescent green. I'm going to get a razor blade for the next PWC.

Thanks so much for all the help and tips. I feel like I'm back on track
Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
ok, took the toothbrush to everything. At one point I wondered what a water pick would do, lol.
While I was at it, I scrubbed the 10g too.
Some of the algae on the side and back glass of my 29g is impossible to scrap off. It's almost flourescent green. I'm going to get a razor blade for the next PWC.

Thanks so much for all the help and tips. I feel like I'm back on track
Great! You'll get there soon. One day you'll just look at the tank and it will be gleaming and you'll realize you haven't had to touch it in weeks. Its a satisfying day
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used to use water from water bottles that were just laying around the house undrank to put some FW into the tank. Now that i've quit doing that, I only have a small amount of GHA, about 1/2" square of it. So maybe that is your culprit. I feed once every 3 days, and my fish seem to be doing great !!

Also try to switch out your brine shrimp. Your clown gets nothing nutritional from the brine, except for some fiber (more poo !!). Switch over to Mysis as its alot more nutritional. I know this is alittle off topic, but all advice is welcomed right ??
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, thanks. Mysis, is it frozen also? I'm using distilled water until I can afford a RO/DI. It's getting moved up on the list
Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Yea, get hikari or PE mysis. They are the best brands.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wanted to let y'all know that I've used everyones tips and it was about two to three weeks after starting this thread, my tank started looking amazing. I still continue to only feed every other day and everything is going great. Thank you so much...wish I had listen to y'all sooner :/

Tags
algae, nitrates, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com