Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unhappy Algae, Nitrites, Nitrates - arrggghh

Since getting my tank in March, I've been on this forum daily reading for hours at a time, trying to learn. I also google "everything" in hopes that someday I'll have a tank with beautiful fish and corals like some of the tanks I've seen here.

Saying this...I know that I'm doing something/everything wrong. After the first couple of months (new tank syndrome?) my 29g tank was starting to look pretty good and test great.

That is up to three weeks ago. It was time for the weekly PWC so I had my daughter pick up 5g of water while she was in town. She came home with "drinking" water, not the "distilled" water that I always use (except for the short time I used treated tap water, MISTAKE) but I went ahead and used it instead of waiting to do the PWC on another day. That week red algae and green algae started taking over my tank so on the next weeks PWC I used distilled water and did a 20% instead of 10%. Nothing changed. Same thing after the next PWC. Meanwhile I found a good snail deal on reefcleaners.com and thought, "well hey, can't hurt"...got'em and added them yesterday. Today my tank looked even worse.

Oh, and during this whole algae crap out, my fish, xenia, zoas, feather dusters, shrimp, and crabs are doing great. Even my hitchikers...baby urchin (I think rock boring) and the sea whip/fan.

Tomorrow is the weekly PWC...this is what I have tonight:
salt - 1.025
temp - 78F
Ph - 8.6
Alk - 1.7-2.8
ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0.1
nitrates - (not sure how to read the card, but it's not 0) 20 low end???

As I can I'll be getting a RO/DI system. I'm already working on a sump.
Other than that and the PWC weekly...I'm sure what else to do.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And the Nerites Snails that I added yesterday have laid eggs EVERYWHERE

Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, never heard of nirites laying eggs in an Aq. are you sure that you are not over feeding or that any fish are dead?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great...I'm pretty sure it was the Nerites Snails' eggs. And yes, at the beginning I was over feeding. I was feeding twice a day, but now I only feed once. Also, about 2 month ago I started turning all the pumps off while feeding and it's helped alot with left over food. I tried feeding everyother day, but the Chromis were not happy at all with that! Actually I felt like I was starving them, guilt took over I feed my xenia, zoes and sea whip once a week, the day before the PWC.

Oh, and should I mention that the algae, the red and the green, are like dust. When I clean it off of the glass (green) or the rock (red) it just blows off like a dust cloud.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is almost acting like diatoms. How old is your setup? A good way to feed fish that need extra feedings is to feed different types of food. Say pellets and then a little zooplanton and so on. A major feeding and one that only the very hungry will go after.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's five months old. I do have some hair algae, but it's not too bad. All of my fish and inverts are accounted for. The only thing that died lately is the snail that my pepperment shrimp tore apart last night

I feed them pellets, few at a time until they don't seem interested and then I give them a pinch of marine chips, which the chromis just about jump out of the water for. Oh, I forgot...I also feed them brine shrimp (frozen), I was doing it once a week right before PWC but I forget alot of the time, so they probably only get the brine twice a month. When I do feed it to them I rinse like I've read to do and then net them into the tank.

Dexter, my clown loves that...so much that he won't eat at the next feeding. I think he's waiting for the brine

I do have crushed coral, but it's pretty fine. When I move it, bubbles come up...I thought that was a good sign cause of the gasses?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

No need to feed the xenia or sea whip, Unless its like phytoplankton.

Zoo's will take mysis or brine, But they still dont need feeding at all. I feed my zoos, But only once a fornight to once a month..
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know what it's called, can't look right now, but it's something like phytoplankton. My zoas are really tiny so the brine that I feed the fish sometime are way too big for them.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I never feed my coral except for my acans and duncans, and would suggest the same to anyone. If you have fish in the tank their waste will provide filter feeding corals all that they need.

In most cases a hands off approach will give you more coral growth then anything else. I feed a combo of mysis, pellets, and gel food, only one per day, every other day.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Youve got to minimize feedings. Id feed every other day and put a stop to feeding the corals. I have a similar problem and have concluded that its because my 20g is simply overstocked. Maybe not overstocked in a crowded way, or in a way that crashes the system, but in a way that means constant "ghost algae".

I think this dusty brown stuff has found a way to live off the most minute levels of extra nutrients. I run 5 times the GFO I am supposed to run for my size tank as well as maintain a mass of chaeto in the DT. I also feed once every other day and only so much that each fish (two clowns, a sixlines wrasse, and a strawbery baslet) gets a few mouth fulls. I rinse all frozen food and use quality pellets. My white lights only come on for 6 hours a day now. Ive had this problem for a year.

Im willing to bet the motherload that I wouldnt have this problem with just two fish. The "ghost algae" needs something to live, and its existence is proof that something does exist. No other algae is present. My acroporas are keeping pretty shades of blue too. Its got to be the feedings. We got to minimize food in the tank. All those corals will get plenty from the lighting. Id stop feeding them completely and feed the fish every other day.

Matt

Tags
algae, nitrates, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com