Algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone I have noticed a build up of green algae in my tank over the glass mainly I have a 350L corner tank with a 50L sump in there is about 15kg of live rock cheato algae and return pump and 2 heaters. Main tank has a deltec 300 skimmer also running a external filter with nitrate remover bags in there that's all got fish and coral in the tank please advise how I can get rid of this all water tests seem to come back ok a little huge on the nitrate hence the filter

Is it soft or hard algae? Can you simply wipe it off with your hand? Do you test for nitrates?

Test weekly and the seem a bit high and yes it's soft can be wiped of the glass easily but why is it there and can I stop it getting there thanks

A few months now but was a running tank when I got it for over two years have been changing water fortnightly sumo is new to the tank only two weeks that's been there

Sounds like you need to lower the nutrients in the tank. Larger water changes and feed less often. Siphon out algae with water changes.

Have been doing that but algae is on the glass can't siphon that off the glass but thanks will try bigger water changes how much would you say is safe to do and how often

Get a mag float cleaner to clear the glass of algae just before water change.

Is there some additive I can add to remove it that's not going to effect my sump chaeto algae

Just re-read parts of this thread. By external filter are you talking about a canister filter? If so do you clean it at least once or twice a week?

I wouldn't use additives. The sump is new. Take some time to let the macro in the sump to start growing.

Yes it's a canister filter yes cleaned weekly only has treatments in the filter nothing else

Then just wait it out. Scrub the glass with a magnet cleaner and wait for your macro algae to go to work.

Then just wait it out. Scrub the glass with a magnet cleaner and wait for your macro algae to go to work.

x2 my magfloat scrubber has been a life saver for me, i have clean tank syndrome and i must clean about 2-3 times a week, its a PITA sometimes because i have a bow front but i just do the front and sides, i leave the back glass for my snails and fish too pick at.

Ok thanks for that will try cleaning it but it seems yo fall off and go all over the tank will try to siphon it when water changing thanks again

Back
Top Bottom