Algae on new coral, is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbosnail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just given a few little soft corals, on their base there is a small amount of what looks like string algae. The tank that they came from uses tap water I use RO water. Is there a way to remove the algae? Should I not put them in my tank? I don't have a quarantine tank suitable for coral.thanks for your help.

i would remove the algae, or the base. just glue the coral to a piece of live rock rubble or something.

I can rip off the corals base without hurting it? What do I use to glue it?
how do you think it was removed from the parent colony, and put on that plug? if it's a frag plug, it was most likely glued to it.
you said soft corals, right? what kind of coral? it doesn't have a skeleton, does it? i use crazy glue gel to glue small frags.
you could just snip off the part with the algae on it, leaving a little to glue to.

Ok I will try that. I an not sure what type it is, some type of leather I think, it is brownish pink with little feeler things that stick out all over. The friend I got it from said that it came off her larger one by itself, there are about ten"babies".

take a pic of it. if it's a leather it might be difficult to glue. they get slimy when they are stressed, and the glue usually doesn't stick. you might have to rubber band it to something else until it attaches. that usually takes a couple days.

really though, depending on what kind of algae it is, and how your water is, it's probably not a real problem. i just think you are better off without introducing algae in the first place.

Not sure, she didn't know what it was. I just googled toadstool and it looks like it. So I take out the rock I want it on and super glue it on?

you put the glue right on the frag (i would put a generous amount of glue on that rock it's attached to now, perhaps covering any algae in the process) and put it right in the water ant attach it to what you want. hold it in place for 20 seconds or so if possible.

Back
Top Bottom