Algae on Sand, only one side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there,

How bad does this algae problem look? Tank is kept up with RO/DI water changes and has been up over half a year now. Over the past couple months this side of the tank has gotten worse. I skimmed a bunch off the surface of the sandbed, but it comes right back.

Nitrites = 0, Ammonia = 0, Nitrates =0. We do a 5 gallon water change every week. Lighting is on a 8 Hour Actnic / 6 hour Daylight schedule, with Moonlights on the other 16 hours of the day.

We have 2 clown fish, 2 Emerald Crabs, Peppermint Shrimp, and a bunch of Nassarius, Astraea, and Hermit crabs. Feed them a couple times a week with Ocean Nutrition frozen food, and supplement inbetween with Ocean Nutrition Flakes. They eat all the flakes that hit the surface, but some of the frozen food makes it's way to the rocks / bottom.

Any ideas on what we can try to clear up this problem? Can't stand a dirty tank. :)

Attachments

• picture_143_small_120.jpg
    picture_143_small_120.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 46
  • picture_154_small_141.jpg
    picture_154_small_141.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 28
How often are you feeding? Need to feed every other day. Need to get some current to that area. Maybe a power head. Try to syphon that area and blow current on that area. But just remember that there is a fuel source there somewhere

I agree. I see 2 powerheads pointing toward the center of the tank. Try situating one in the front left pointing to the right, and one in the back right pointing to the left (I hope that makes sense)and down slightly. This way you get a circulating current that hits the sandbed.

i had a vary similer prooblem in my tank last month all i did was place a power head close to the bottom in that area and it cleard up in a week or 2

Thanks for the replies. I will try changing up the Powerheads to create the circulating current. Would it be too much to have a 3rd powerhead that is at the bottom of the tank? This is very interesting, glad to hear proper placement has cleared up the problem you had Ianrich, gives me hope. :)

I am guilty of feeding them flakes every day. I just feed a little bit at a time, they eat that stuff really fast and our always hungry. Is that a algae source even though they eat it all? I'm always afraid that they dont' get enough to eat from the frozen food every other day feeding. Since a lot of it sinks pretty fast or gets sucked into the poweheads.

Thanks again!

My PHD scientist/biologist (professor emeritus and dean) father in law says fish, especially marine fish can go for a long time without eating, up to several weeks. Well documented in his student marine fish and invert labs. I wouldn't worry about every other day feedings or even going on vacation for a week, as long as the the water is good they will survive.

As far as the algae problem on the substate, I would do as the others have sugessted and change the direction of the powerhead flow or add another one. It can't hurt.

I have had the bulbs for a little over 4 months now.

I redirected my two powerheads and will post back after some time as to the results. I am also cutting out the flakes for awhile and feeding them the frozen food (soaked in Zoecon and Garlic) every other day. Will see what happens!

you can also turn your ph's off while you feed, so the fish can get it.. i was worried too about every other day, and the fish were def fine, sometimes i went even longer than that. they were good, just beggars, lol.... hth

Yeah I was worried about feeding my every other day but they are just fine. Sometimes they even go for a third day without eating from actual feeding by myself. I'm sure throughout the day they'll chomp on a bit of algae or something that floats by.

This has caused my PO to go from 0.5ppm to 0.0ppm, though I still get algae. After my red blenny died the algae has really picked up. It's not out of control, just growing all over the rock so it now looks more brown than pink etc at the minute.

I'm getting a yellow tang soon so that'll sort the algae problem out for sure.

i forgot to ad i also aded some zebra hermit crabs insted of blue leg thay seem to do a better job on algea i beleave thay are strictly herbivors rather thsnd omnivors like most hermits

as for feeding i feed 2 times a day frozen but small portions probubly 1/4 of a cube and let me tell you nothing gets past my clown maby thay dont like the frozen prep you could try somthing els if you can find it and wont to try i use life line green

Back
Top Bottom