Algae Outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had this algae growing in my tank for the last month or so. It grows on everything, my glass, my rock, and my sand. My tank is about 1 and a half months old plus cycle time. My question is what type of algae is it and how do i get rid of it?

This type of algae is very common with the age of your tank. It is a good sign. It will go away on it's own usually in 3 to 6 days. That may vary some. :wink:

I had this problem as well and it drove me nuts. Revhtree is right, though, it'll go away. Mine finally did but I had it for a few weeks, not just a few days.

well its been there for about 3-2 weeks. do you think it will still go away on its own? or should i do something

My tanks about the same age and I'm having the same problem. My cleaning crew is getting pretty fat. From what Ive read it goes away on its own. On a similar note the coraline on my rock its brightening up and I'm getting some coraline on the overflows.

i got 4 turbo/ish snails, and 4 blue leg crabs. and they seem to be getting lazy during the day (when i would like it to be clean). and at night they half way clean it. then it starts back over the next morning.

are you using RO/DI water? if you are using tap water, you could be adding silica/silicates or phosphates which will fuel the algae bloom. consider adding some macro algae to a 'fuge or sump if you have one to help with nutrient export- they will use up the nutrients in the tank before nusiscance algae can. usually diatoms like this are normal in a tank that is newly established, but if they persist for such a long time you may want to consider doing something.

have you tested your water? what are the params?

diatoms... it will pass.

echo nodoubt471s comment about RO water. That'll help.

Are you feeding anything yet? Might cut back a bit..

ya i have about half tap and half distilled. i have a tomato clown and a damsel. it will be all ro/di water, when the adapter comes for the sink. i dont have a fuge or sump since my tank is only 20 gallons. how much longer do you think it will take to pass?

Back
Top Bottom