Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

algae problem

hello. I started saltwater a bout 8 months ago, i have 2 clown fish and 1 blue tang, several hermit crabs, brittle star fish and bristle worm. Also live rock and a few peices of soft coral..

I started with very bad diatoms (brown algae), that im still struggling to remove, i have a uv steralizer which has done a great job but there is still some there. now im getting some Cyanobacteria algae growing on my cc, i syphoned it out a few days ago and now its back even worse. I use phosphate pads in my filter, and have 2 wave maker pumps going through the day as well as my filter.

my lfs recommended to use algaefix which i have been for about 3 weeks... other then that I need help how to remove this =/ and one have any ideas that can help me?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Are you using RO/DI water. I had algae problems until I added a DI filter.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

yes, im using distilled water
Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
QUOTE=dill060;1196499]Cyanobacteria,aka red slime algae, is a photosynthetic bacteria that can be a nuisance if not delt with properly. There
Are products that get rid of it temporarily, but the solution to the problem lies in the husbandry of the tank. If you have it, that means there is a nutrient excess providing fuel for it's growth. So, most importantly check your water chemistry. Make sure nitrite is zero and nitrate is low, then be sure to check for phosphates. Be sure that you are using RODI water, and if it is your own unit be sure membranes and cartridges are replaced if needed. Cutting down light to a minimum can facilitate the removal process, along with frequent water changes with RODI water. Be sure that u are feeding an absolute minimum, more often than not i find customers with this problem are overfeeding or not cleaning the tank or leaving the light on too long. However,I've also had customers who care for their tank better than i do and still have this problem. To get rid of the initial outbreak products like chemiclean or anti-red work, but you have to eliminate the source, excess nutrients, in order to get rid of it permanently. Be patient, it takes time, but persistence will eliminate the problem.[/QUOTE]

I obtained this from another post by Dill060
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks for the information. I still have had the brown algae for 6-7 months ><
Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are using trace elements stop using them for a while. They can be the route of the problem if you don't no the right amounts to add. I learned that one the hard way
Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Start doin 5-10 percent water changes with ro di everyday for a week and cut back on the light. And cut back on the food.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok will do thanks

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com