Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezlenton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have just set up my new 185lt reef tank about 2 months ago.
After putting the live rock in 4 weeks ago and the algae bloom started 10 days ago, which seems to have matured into what looks like a fern type of algae.
I have introduced a Clean up crew 5 days ago but still have a lot of algae.
Is it just a matter of waiting ?
Hope pic is of any use.

Attachments

• image-2768188466.jpg
    image-2768188466.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1501672150.jpg
    image-1501672150.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 77
Something is feeding the algae regardless. Are you overfeeding perhaps? What do you have in your cuc? My sea hare plowed through my hair algae in a few days when i started up my tank. Now just eats seaweed etc. Just a thought.

Are you using tap water? You may want to switch to RODI water when you do you water changes...just an idea! :) Good luck!

Your tank is new and algae blooms very common. Looks Iike green hair algea. You will almost certainly run into diatoms as well. I totally agree with last post as well. RO RO RO !!!! Must have for any reef tank Will save you money in long run on buying water from LFS. Filter guys is a good site.

Your best bet is to clean by hand ad much as possible and get some crabs and snails in there. They may of may not eat it tho. Some tangs may eat but must have big tank for tanks. Possibly lawnmower Blenny.

AquaRick said:
Something is feeding the algae regardless. Are you overfeeding perhaps? What do you have in your cuc? My sea hare plowed through my hair algae in a few days when i started up my tank. Now just eats seaweed etc. Just a thought.

Thanks rick, I'm not feeding any thing as I have nothing in there except live rock, 8 crabs and 4 snails.
Will check out the sea hare.

C.a.r.i.s.s.a said:
Are you using tap water? You may want to switch to RODI water when you do you water changes...just an idea! :) Good luck!

Using RO water from start, can't do any water change yet until bloom has finished can I .

I say change. Water changes never hurt. What are you phos and nitrates?

Mpfaff77 said:
Your tank is new and algae blooms very common. Looks Iike green hair algea. You will almost certainly run into diatoms as well. I totally agree with last post as well. RO RO RO !!!! Must have for any reef tank Will save you money in long run on buying water from LFS. Filter guys is a good site.

Your best bet is to clean by hand ad much as possible and get some crabs and snails in there. They may of may not eat it tho. Some tangs may eat but must have big tank for tanks. Possibly lawnmower Blenny.

Thanks, I have used RO water from the start. I have a CUC of 8 crabs & 4 snails who are feeding on it but not that fast.

Mpfaff77 said:
I say change. Water changes never hurt. What are you phos and nitrates?

Ph is 8.2 , ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 & Nitrate 0.

C.a.r.i.s.s.a said:
Have you done any water changes since you started?

No I haven't, I was told to wait until the bloom had gone, but it hasn't. Would you recommend a part water change and if so what %.
Thanks

I would def recommend change. Still stick on your schedule 10% water change every 2 weeks.

Doesn't make sense to me to wait till bloom is gone. If you don't change water you will never reduce silicates or phosphates which feed algae. I did changes from start of tank thru cycle and did them every 2 weeks or so.

Your water parameters look great. I guess you don't test for phosphates? I bet that is what feeding your algae. But in my opinion I say change water every 2 weeks no matter what. I never let anything stop me from doing a change. I think changing water is what keeps tank healthy. You can pull off and siphon out as much algae as you can during changes.

Back
Top Bottom