Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

algae problem

i have a brown algae that grows during the day its brown and it grows like crazy...when i have my lights on during the day 65wattx2 it causes it to grow like crazy...but then at night my cleaning team will eat almost all of it. then i have to go throw the same thing each day...any ideas how to stop it from coming back. tank has been runing about a month and a half.
everything is zero exept nitrates i think are at 5- 10 somewhere in there. i have done a water change about a week ago. do you think a few more little water changes will stop it from coming back

Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you get an algae bloom after the first cycle for about a month or two, then the algae bloom will subside. I think it's normal. Also, what kind of water are you doing water changes with? If you use tapwater, the algae will always seem to stick around...

HTH

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

im using half tapwater and the other half dissteled water from the store. since my tank is only 20 gallons its easy to do a 25% water change with store bought water.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Ya, stop using the tapwater, that may be part of the problem. Tap water usually contains a good amount of PO2. This tend to feed a algae bloom. May want to get a PO4 test kit and check the level.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

get a sillicate sponge its probably diatoms and they feed on sillicate in tap water
Old 12-09-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

okay where can i get a sillicate sponge at? is it just a regular sponge? okay i retested my water and nitrates 0 nitrites 0. so it must not be my water paras. its prolly just my tapwater. i got a ro/di unit but they forget to send the adapted so they recent that so it will be here sometime this week. then i will do a water change with that water and see if that helps any

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com