Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 144
Algae problem please help!

I finished cycling my tank about a month ago and stocked my tank with my corals 3 weeks ago, and I stocked my tank with my first fish a week ago. Sense I got my corals the algae hasn't gotten insane, I got a turbo shrimp and an emerald crab to try and control the problem but that isn't helping. I'm not sure if they don't eat this type of algae or if it is propagating faster then they can eat it. One of my corals isn't opening, I think it might be because of the lower alkalinity. Is the coral dead and causing my tank to go all out of wack? Or does algae growth get effected by alkalinity? I usually have my light on anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. I don't have a timer on my light so it depends on when I remember. Any help would be great. My parameters are:
Ph: 8.2
Alk: 120
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-20
Gravity: 1.025


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
jacpaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 144
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455667957.422475.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	284878 forgot a picture and my tank is 20 g


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
jacpaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
not really seeing any out of control algae growth going on.
See what could be diatoms on the sand/glass, but that is 100% normal the first few months of a new set-up. See a little green cyano, but again not out of control.
Can you test for phosphate?
Cut back on how long the lights are on as well as feeding and see if that helps.


When the last time you did a water change?
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ricksreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Newport News
Posts: 1,109
Toadstool corals are finicky and will close up at times for days.Your light schedule could be the problem if you are running your lights full on for 10 to 14 hours a day.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Ricksreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
not really seeing any out of control algae growth going on.
See what could be diatoms on the sand/glass, but that is 100% normal the first few months of a new set-up. See a little green cyano, but again not out of control.
Can you test for phosphate?
Cut back on how long the lights are on as well as feeding and see if that helps.


When the last time you did a water change?

I'll try and get a better picture but there is algae growing on all the live rock, I'm mostly consented about how rapidly the algae is growing. I'll try and take a better picture


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
jacpaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacpaq2000 View Post
I'll try and get a better picture but there is algae growing on all the live rock, I'm mostly consented about how rapidly the algae is growing. I'll try and take a better picture


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also can't test for phosphate


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
jacpaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 144
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455721198.855525.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	284894
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455721221.158714.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	284895


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
jacpaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
it still isn't that bad at all.
the stuff on the sand, does it look more like brown/gold dust? if so then they are diatoms, harmless and will go away on their own. you will only drive yourself crazy if you begin messing around to get rid of diatoms. They feed on silica which is in higher concentrations in new set-ups. as the silica gets used up, the diatoms will die off. Usually takes anywhere from 2-6 months total, but can re-bloom if new sand/source of silica is added.

it does look like there is a few spots of brown cyano, the slimy looking stuff with bubbles in it.
from the amount of algae actually there, simply cutting back on the lighting and maybe feeding should help.

You are a long way from having a nuisance algae problem, trust me.

Remember, algae isn't a necessarily bad thing, it WILL grow no matter what, the trick is controlling how much and where it grows.

If you begin mucking around a lot to try and "fix" the algae, that is asking for more problems.
reduce lighting and food is the first step.


if it is really bothering you, take a toothbrush to the rock and gravel vac the sand.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
it still isn't that bad at all.
the stuff on the sand, does it look more like brown/gold dust? if so then they are diatoms, harmless and will go away on their own. you will only drive yourself crazy if you begin messing around to get rid of diatoms. They feed on silica which is in higher concentrations in new set-ups. as the silica gets used up, the diatoms will die off. Usually takes anywhere from 2-6 months total, but can re-bloom if new sand/source of silica is added.

it does look like there is a few spots of brown cyano, the slimy looking stuff with bubbles in it.
from the amount of algae actually there, simply cutting back on the lighting and maybe feeding should help.

You are a long way from having a nuisance algae problem, trust me.

Remember, algae isn't a necessarily bad thing, it WILL grow no matter what, the trick is controlling how much and where it grows.

If you begin mucking around a lot to try and "fix" the algae, that is asking for more problems.
reduce lighting and food is the first step.


if it is really bothering you, take a toothbrush to the rock and gravel vac the sand.

Ok thanks, I'm still pretty sure it's algae because bubbles are coming off it all over but it is a greenish yellow. I'll try and cut back on lighting and feeding. Thanks for the help


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
jacpaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Norwich UK
Posts: 435
When my tank was going through the motions I would of loved to just have a little like you have my sand was plastered it will eventually just vanish as long as you keep nitrates and phosphate in check as well as good flow
__________________

__________________
Marty.h is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible Hydro Sponge Filter Problem? Big Problem or Little Problem? Frank15 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 7 03-05-2010 02:47 AM
[from Gen. forums] Crazy algae problem! (please help ASAP) cgcaver Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 04-29-2005 10:45 AM
Crazy algae problem! (please help ASAP) cgcaver Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 14 04-28-2005 12:31 PM
Help with algae problem please! TeenReefer Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 12-26-2004 06:05 PM
Algae, algae, algae!!!! Please Help! Joshsmit56001 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 06-17-2004 08:23 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.