Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ericosuave
algae problems.. again!! argh!!

ok guys, ive been getting really depressed.. becuase i cannot get rid of this stupid algae in my tank.. no matter what i do.

there is this new type of algae spreading ALL over in my tank. the algae looks like little palm tree leaves, they are green and they have these roots that are spreading all over.. i dont know how to get rid of it! and its getting out of control.. i also have this brown hairy like algae everywhere.. ive picked most of it off with my hand to keep it under control.. but the green palm tree lookin stuff is getting out of control. and i do not know what i can do to get rid of it! someone please help!! i also have alot of detritus on the bottom rocks in my tank, whats a good way to get rid of this?

your help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

aquariumadvice is always there to save the day!!

ericosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
The green algae sounds like Caulerpa. Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell you to control it other than manual removal. Not sure on the brown stuff.
Try using a turkey baster to gently blow off the detritus from your rocks.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
if there is detrius on your rocks and substrate and your having an algea bloom you might want to cut back on feedings. how much do you feed your fish and what fish and filteration do you have? how big is your tank and what are your parameters? hermits and other crabs will take care of the detrius and some turbos and astrea conehead snails should take out the algea. if your tank is big enough you might want to think about getting an algea eating tang. you might want to test for phosphates and see if this is whats causing the bloom. other then that i would suggest doing a few good water changes and blow off your rocks before you syphon the water and syphon where there is a build up of detrius
Jonathan G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com