Algea!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewposi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my new 55 gallon has been up and running for about a month and a half. i transferred my 37 into it and its been in for about a week or so and the algea is so bright green and thick no like ive ever seen in any of my other tanks anyone have an explanation?

You could have stirred up a food source for the algae, when you moved your stuff over. PWCs will help a lot.
Can you get a pic?
What are your water parameters?
Are you using different lights?
Is it hair algae or slime?

my water is fine its more of a slime and yes my lights are alot stronger. i have the current nova extreme t-5 halogens i believe 2- 54 watt 10k and 2- 54 watt antics.

Ok, I have that same lighting system and when I added it to my tank, I have some algae grow like crazy. I have a distinct feeling that your water may not be fine, since you are having the algae bloom or cyano. I would siphon out the slime and pick up your PWCs, otherwise it will quickly take over your tank.

I agree with Scott and you may want to consider reducing the hours your lights are on for until you get the algae under control! PWCS every week would be a good idea until you get things back to normal. Any time you transfer large amounts of sand and LR from one tank to another you are going to unleash nasties into the water and you should always do several PWCs very close together after the transfer! When I do something like that I usually have enough SW premixed and ready to do as much as a 50% PWC if needed.

Back
Top Bottom