algea question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Need suggestion on the best way to treat algea outbreak.

I was thinking on buying a cleaning crew fron liveaquaria.com, can anyone give some input on this lil guys?

What type of algae? I quickly learned that the main source of the problem with algae is phosphate in the water. I currently have a big algae problem, and its not getting any better everytime I use tapwater for top-ups.

Two options are:

1) Start replacing the water with RO water
2) Get a phosphate remover

I read somwhere that with a phosphate remover upto 50% can dissapear within 48 hours, which is pretty good!

a clean up crew is an excellent idea. how long has your tank been set up for? if it is still cycling, then this is totally appropriate.

if the tank is established and is suddenly having an algae bloom, you should check the silicates and phosphates of the water you are adding to the tank. also investigate photoperiod and how old your lightbulbs are (they are only good for about 8 months or so), as well as any increase of feeding. to remove algae, you must remove its source- which is either food or light.

Your tank is probably going through what most tanks go through. A diatom bloom happens to most systems when they are young. Here is an article
http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/reefref/diatoms.html
Nutrient and silicate removal will help. Also using RO water is really important. Do you have a skimmer?
Also Scotter dragonetes (they are not really blennies) are a difficult fish for a young tank. Their natural food is pods which most young tanks lack. Unless you can get them to eat prepared food (if they won't they may slowly starve), you may want to consider returning them. IMO
Also, what are your water parameter readings?

i second the opinion on the scooters, its the same with all dragonettes. you definitly should not get them within the first year.

if your using tap water, definitly invest in a RO/DI unit, they are priceless IMO

Back
Top Bottom