Alkalinity problem !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugarte1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys just checked my water and my Alk went from 8 to 7 should I be worried ? My BTA does not look good at all. Also my candy cane hasn't opened up in 3 days everything else looks fine. Please help.

Normally at 8. Took 3 days I guess.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390548527.021625.jpg
The Meg dropped too.

Any help guys? Just did a test alk is still at 7 and now the ammonia is a little high. Going to do a water change in 2 days. Should I be worried ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390763438.728957.jpg

The presence of ammonia is very alarming. Did you cycle your tank prior to adding livestock?

The presence of ammonia is very alarming. Did you cycle your tank prior to adding livestock?

Yes cycle for about a month. Last night my BTA looked like it was dying no tentacles and it had something coming out it's mouth. Could that be the problem ? This morning the BTA got it's tentacles back and is looking better.

Can anyone tell me how to rase my Alk ? The rest of my water is back to normal. Just want to get the Alk back now it's at 7. How high should I bring it up have LPS and a shrimp in the tank no fish ?

The answer is water changes. This is the solution to almost every problem you can face. I would also assume you are feeding your tank and that this is causing the ammonia readings, since there aren't any fish to provide a constant supply of ammonia to feed the bacteria in the nitrate cycle.

Back
Top Bottom