All about sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been doing some research on sumps as of lately. I am thinking about incorporating one into my SW aquarium I am building. I have some questions, though, that I wanted to run by everyone... This will be a 29 gallon reef tank with 2-3 small fish max. Everything else will be inverts. Tank will be using the Berlin method of filtration.

Do I need any filtration in the sump other than the protein skimmer? If I understand the Berlin method properly, I don't need anything in the sump other than the protein skimmer, heater, and pump. This correct? Why do I see people that have filters in their sump? Are they using another method of filtration other than the Berlin and need mechanical filtration of some kind?

The reason for using a sump really caught my eye when I saw I could hide everything under the tank out of view. I could also hook up a kalkwasser drip line under the tank that would drip continuously into the sump. What a great idea!!

Went to Wal-mart and they have 10 gallon tanks for sale at $8.99. What a cheap sump that would make...

Do I need any filtration in the sump other than the protein skimmer?

With enough LR and/or LS, no you don't ;)

Why do I see people that have filters in their sump?

Really depends on the person.

Are they using another method of filtration other than the Berlin and need mechanical filtration of some kind?

I run Carbon filtration due to the size of the tank, I run it 24/7, but most will run it a few days per month.

Went to Wal-mart and they have 10 gallon tanks for sale at $8.99. What a cheap sump that would make...

Unless the tank is drilled, don't forget the expense of the overflow ;)

The tank is 29 gallons. I am thinking approx 50-60 lbs of LR would suffice as the filter. I will then add in some southdown sand and seed it with LS from the LFS.

don't forget the expense of the overflow

Yeah I was looking at HOT overflows. They will run me about $60 just for that... Not the cheapest item.

In the simplest since, the sump will not need baffles. This correct? Do I really need a baffle for anything if I won't be putting any filter media inside it?

you'll want baffles to reduce bubbles returning to the tank from the turbulence created by the falling water.

you'll want baffles to reduce bubbles returning to the tank from the turbulence created by the falling water.

Didn't think about that at all. Ok, well I could buy two piece of plexi glass and use those for baffles. Should work fine...

Are you not gonna drill it?

Do I really need to? I thought a HOT would be alot easier to put together...

HOT = hang on tank

And I agree it is easier, but if I had my druthers (not real sure what a druther is, but if I had mine) I'd have a drilled tank. Much cleaner and IMO easier to deal with.

I was gonna use a HOT but since bad things can happen, I was not willing to take that risk.

With a drilled overflow no need to worry about losing your siphon and having a big mess if you lose your siphon you could overflow your tank. I use a foam block in my sump just to get any big debrie, You just have to keep it clean or nitrates will rise, also carbon occasionally

If you get a fuge going then nitrates should be less of a problem, I guess the skimmer wouldn't be working as hard either.

Just not sure how to do the fuge part... The fuge and sump can be one unit, correct. In other words, can the fuge can be in the sump?

If this is the case, I would need to see a picture of a fuge/sump to clear up how the design will look.

Back
Top Bottom