All-Glass 90g w/megaflow...600 gph max?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have an All-Glass 90g w/ their built in "megaflow"...basically a 1" overflow. The docuemntation I have for this aquarium indicates that the max flow rate is 600gph. I've heard that I should strive for 10x+ tank capacity for a good reef... which is obviously not going to be the case with just the overflow.

So I'll be adding some phs to this, right? Another thought I had was to add a HOB overflow (siphon) to increase water flow to the sump...but in either case do you need phs in the tank, or with a significant flow from/to the sump is that sufficient?

I just thought of something, wanted to know if it would be a problem if I added a ph within the overflow portion of the tank, and pump the output of that ph up and through the normal overflow outflow slot (there are two provided, one would be used from the sump return, the other used from this internal ph).

I'm thinking if I get a great ph there that might add to the overall flow in the tank without anything new visibly.

Those overflows will handle more than 600 gph. I have heard that it was a safety thing. I drilled out my slots a bit more and removed 2 of the teeth all together. Not sure what my flow it but it is higher than what I had when I used a mag 7. I use a mak4 now(1190 gph) but I have about 12 ft of head height.

I have read some get a Mag 9.5 and do not have to throttle it back. With the mods to the teeth, I have read people using a Mag12.

ellisz said:
Those overflows will handle more than 600 gph. I have heard that it was a safety thing. I drilled out my slots a bit more and removed 2 of the teeth all together. Not sure what my flow it but it is higher than what I had when I used a mag 7. I use a mak4 now(1190 gph) but I have about 12 ft of head height.

I have read some get a Mag 9.5 and do not have to throttle it back. With the mods to the teeth, I have read people using a Mag12.

So the overflow rate is more a function of the teeth or slots in the overflow, as opposed to the diameter of the hole (1")? If that is the case I can certainly drill open some of the slots to get more water flowing into the overflow chamber. The only thing I guess I'd be concerned about is smaller creatures getting pulled into the slots..is that a concern I should have?

Thanks!

I have a 72gal bow front Oceanic with similar overflow (made by AGA) and I have a Mag 7 on it (700gal/hr). No troubles.

I have a 75g Oceanic with the same overflow. No mods or teeth removal and around 4.5 ft headroom with a mag9.5 - I have the throttle it back just a tad with 3/4" return hose. (I mean around an inch from wide open on the bv) and its perfect. HTH

I think the Mag7 at 4ft is a bit less than 700 gph? I know mine did not seem like much. I took a drill bit that was a tad bigger than the slot and just hollowed out the top and bottom of the slot. On the ends, I broke a slot divider off so the hole is double size. I was worried about small inverts too so I just did the ends.

There is quite a bit of talk on this on RC. Bad thing about having your overflow at its max flow though is you have to keep up on the algae build up. I know mine would need cleaning every couple of weeks. It would cause a level change in my sump after cleaning sometimes.

Has anyone read this thread on RC? It's a long one but you can get the main idea in the first page or two.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...6b0cc&threadid=550482&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

It gives some good food for thought regarding the benefits of a low flow sump. I am getting a 90 gal AGA megaflow and I will either use a Mag 7 or 9.5. I will also have the overflow split between my sump and fuge. That way I can see what flow max out my future ASM G3.

HTH
Stephen

saltwatersmac said:
Has anyone read this thread on RC? It's a long one but you can get the main idea in the first page or two.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...6b0cc&threadid=550482&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

It gives some good food for thought regarding the benefits of a low flow sump. I am getting a 90 gal AGA megaflow and I will either use a Mag 7 or 9.5. I will also have the overflow split between my sump and fuge. That way I can see what flow max out my future ASM G3.

HTH
Stephen

Very interesting! I'm leaning towards a Mag 7 or 9.5 at this point as well, and I will have my overflow split between my sump and fuge as well. I'll spend more time reading this interesting thread.

Thanks!

I'm kinda leaning towards the Mag7 right now...also bad to change mind quickly :lol: At 4 ft head a properly set up Mag 7 can flow up to 480 gal/hr. That would put about 150 to my 15 gal fuge and the rest will go through the skimmer compartment of my sump. The G3 can handle 500 gal/hr. This way the skimmer should get most protein out while the Mag 7 will use less electricity, make less heat and noise. I will probably just use a closed loop for added circulation because I don't really like powerheads in the tank. Less clutter in the tank is a main reason I am switching to a sump in the first place.

Anybody else have any thoughts regarding the thread on RC?

Stephen

Back
Top Bottom