Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to SnailPowered
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmy4993 View Post
there are alot of other things clowns will host. as you will read in your research clowns will host just about anything and putting an anemone in your tank doesnt mean your clown will like it. its like buying a home(again with the home anology lol) you may like the mansion someone else may like the apartment/condo. clowns will host, anemone, frog spawns, hammers, mushrooms, zoes, rics, powerheads, algee, sand. you name it the clown may host it. ther are many storys of people buying anemones expecting the clown to host it and the clowns wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. clowns are weird which makes them cool
Hmmm, well what would be a good candidate for a 30 gallon tank? I just like the tentacle look lol. Really just about anything in SW fascinates me because they are so pretty. I did see a pin cushion urchin, I would like to have one of those!!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
i like the tentacle look to as it sways in the current. and i also like the urchins and star fish and clowns and blue tangs and i like finding nemo and umm ya i like sw tanks too. =)

Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, does anyone have any suggestions on having a small tank to start with? Let's put it this way, I am going to get a small tank that I will have for about two years. In that time I will be building live rock and curing it and prepping everything for a much larger tank. Harmy, I haven't even had a SW tank and I already have the bug lol. I think it is only going to get worse! :P Thank you a ton for your inoput, I have read a number of your posts and I know that you have a good amount of experience!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

actually i have no experiance with sw. haha. im putting my first sw together now. i had a planted freshwater in the past. i just do alot of reading so i can learn. so my knowledge comes from other people and there experiances.

as for what to get. nanos awe awesome. they require alot of work thou. big tank vs small tank = lots of work for both lol. nano tanks are more day to day maintance. less water valume = more water parameter swings. so you have to pay attention more on a day to day. bigger tanks require more work in weekly/ bi weekly maintance cause there is more to clean and look after. but i think personally the nanos pop out more with the colors. i think they look amazing. so dont get scared off by the day to day maintance part of it(not that i think you will)

do note all in one isnt always all in one. you may end up havign to upgrade parts to get what is really needed to take care of a reef, or you may need to modify things to get the best use out of them. so just go into it knowing all in one doesnt always mean ready for fish or no more money spent. also alot of times you can save money by peicing your own together. its not as hard as it seems. and with people here they can help you compare equipment and make sure you get what you really need.

if you can find zeros build he has a 25 gallon cube. awesome size and awesoem look and not expensive really. get your own equipment and good lighting and you can get anythign you want in it. something you cant always do with all in ones.
fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I was looking at that and the one that I want seems to have the possibility to be upgraded. My other option I was thinking of was to get a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon and make my own stand and drill the 30g myself to add Dorso standpipes. I like the customization aspect lol. I guess realistically the 30g build up would be better because I am doing it myself and I can design it to MY parameters.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ya and a stand isnt hard to make as i just found out. and you can make it to match the area its going in. kinda helps give it a show peice look.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPowered View Post
Well I don't mean stuck on the anemone in the small tank necessarily, just that I want to have one some day. The only thing that I am really stuck on is having a salt water tank. I have read that clowns are very hardy and that was a large part of wanting them for my first tank. The small is just because I am in the Army and will have to move. I plan on moving to Hawaii when I get out of the Army and at the moment I don't plan on ever leaving. As you said though, who knows what crazy curve balls life will throw at you!
You will be really limited as to what you can have in a reef tank in Hawaii. The laws do not permit any "Hard corals" and you will be stuck with mostly Zoas and One or two common anemones. You would be better served with a Fish only with live rock tank.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they dont want people throwing them back into the ocean or they dont want people collecting from the ocean?
Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well...that bites. The laws don't permit you to order them even? I didn't plan on taking any of the fish in my tank from the ocean. I would rather just order the fish. There are a lot of pretty worms and fish and urchins and crabs...I am all about the pretty colors lol. I don't think I would last long with a FOWLR tank before I put the one or two common anemones in it lol. I don't think I can convince the girl I like to not move to Hawaii, I am a desert boy so being on a small island in the middle of the ocean isn't real appealing but I think I am going to have to put up with it.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

either way, The laws prevent you from collecting from the wild and throwing them back into the wild. Hawaii is so isolated that any introduction into it's ecosystem is devestating. So they are really keen on not having anything taken out or put into it. They don't allow any import or export of any corals, inverts or fish. Check that, they do allow one or two companys fo export but not to sell locally.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com