Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to SnailPowered
Smile All in one tanks

Hello all, I have been looking around at some all in one salt water tanks and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I did a search and didn't find anything specifically dedicated to these tanks. As a beginner the all in one tanks are very appealing because they have the filtration built in and are very compact. The one that I am personally most interested in is the Finnex brand.

The Nano Cubes and AquaPods are also interesting but I like the 30 gallon size.

For my first tank I am thinking that I would really like maybe a couple clowns, live rock, an anemone or two, a hermit crab and a shrimp. I have no idea how much I can fit into a 30 gallon aquarium but that is what I am here for, to learn.

To sum it all up, is it better to get one of these all in one set ups or better to build a set up. I am very hands on so the building part sounds like a lot of fun but I would really like to have the fastest possible route to seeing my first SW tank. Thank you for reading this far and I can't wait to hear suggestions!

Old 05-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
You came to the right place . Just to let you know, anemones require a tank to become established for a year or two before they can be kept, and most species are better left in the ocean. Read a few articles in the article section, to help you out some, especially to learn about cycling your tank. Good luck

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmmm, well I will have my tank for about two years before I have to move again I think lol. If I can't have the anemones I figured that a small all in one would allow me to start my learning process while I prepare to turn my 75g into a sump/refugium for a 150g tank to have in the future. Enjoy the SW experience on a small scale while making DIY live rock, and ensuring that I can actually manage the tank that I want to build. Thank you for your reply!!

What is the average amount of fish I could have in a 30 gallon tank? I DEFINITELY don't want to over stock it!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really depends on the type of fish. I'm not the best with SW stocking so someone else will have to help you with that. A 150g tank sounds awesome! lol I wish I had the room and money for that. Are you planning on making this a reef or a fowlr?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Reef definitely. I am pretty stuck on the anemone lol. I will make sure that I get an anemone that does well in captivity. In all honesty this is all planned to culminate in owning a tank that will be a wall in my house and somewhere around 700-1000 gallons. Or so is my dream as a 24 year old aquarium enthusiast lol.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im 10 years younger and i wish i could at least have a 10g reef lol.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPowered View Post
Reef definitely. I am pretty stuck on the anemone lol. I will make sure that I get an anemone that does well in captivity. In all honesty this is all planned to culminate in owning a tank that will be a wall in my house and somewhere around 700-1000 gallons. Or so is my dream as a 24 year old aquarium enthusiast lol.
make sure you do your research and you dont get to stuck on it. if you do dont get to stuck on anything else in your tank. anemones besides being hard to keep and have a very short life in an aquarium, they like to move around on there own. in a small tank it doesnt take much walkign around for them to sting and kill everythign else in the tank. in all honesty if you plan on upgrading tanks your better off waiting till you do upgrade.

its kinda like owning a saint barnard and a really small back yard and saying well we are going to buy a house with a bigger yard. you never know when you will actually get around to it, you dont know if thing s will pop up that will derail the plan for a week, a month or a year. and your fine but the animal is misarable while they wait for there upgrade.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

You're ten years younger so you probably don't have a job yet. Save and then when you get a job save some more and start a reef tank!

I was looking at that Finnex tank and there is an option with no lights and then two options WITH lights, what is the consensus on the best route?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmy4993 View Post
make sure you do your research and you dont get to stuck on it. if you do dont get to stuck on anything else in your tank. anemones besides being hard to keep and have a very short life in an aquarium, they like to move around on there own. in a small tank it doesnt take much walkign around for them to sting and kill everythign else in the tank. in all honesty if you plan on upgrading tanks your better off waiting till you do upgrade.

its kinda like owning a saint barnard and a really small back yard and saying well we are going to buy a house with a bigger yard. you never know when you will actually get around to it, you dont know if thing s will pop up that will derail the plan for a week, a month or a year. and your fine but the animal is misarable while they wait for there upgrade.
Well I don't mean stuck on the anemone in the small tank necessarily, just that I want to have one some day. The only thing that I am really stuck on is having a salt water tank. I have read that clowns are very hardy and that was a large part of wanting them for my first tank. The small is just because I am in the Army and will have to move. I plan on moving to Hawaii when I get out of the Army and at the moment I don't plan on ever leaving. As you said though, who knows what crazy curve balls life will throw at you!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
there are alot of other things clowns will host. as you will read in your research clowns will host just about anything and putting an anemone in your tank doesnt mean your clown will like it. its like buying a home(again with the home anology lol) you may like the mansion someone else may like the apartment/condo. clowns will host, anemone, frog spawns, hammers, mushrooms, zoes, rics, powerheads, algee, sand. you name it the clown may host it. ther are many storys of people buying anemones expecting the clown to host it and the clowns wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. clowns are weird which makes them cool

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com