Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rednecks Rule! Caught that Mantis Shrimp within one hour of using the "crawdad" trap!!!! I am so relieved - It was bittersweet though. He was such an interesting creature. It's too bad there isn't a friendlier breed of them.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15 guy
Thats what your supposed to call them probably. We always called them crawdads. I am not a "redneck" per say but I have my moments. Some of my friends are full blown WV hillbillies though.
And some of my friends are fast-talkin' Yankees, but they have AWESOME tanks, which is all that counts.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
What are you going to do with the mantis?? I am wanting to get one actually.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

We just found our first mantis shrimp!!! He came right out today. He is killing our crabs. Our Coral Beauty and one of our clowns were taking turns carrying around a dead crab carcass and the mantis jumped right out of the rock and took it from them. Now he is in hiding again. We haven't seen our sleeper head golby all day. Is it possible the mantis killed him?

We set up the bottle trap but the clowns are so curious they keep trying to get into the trap bottle. (It is a small bottle - a water bottle). We are afraid they will go into the trap. Has that ever happened to anyone?

So, refresh my memory. What will this mantis kill? Fish? Star Fish? snails?
It's obviously already killed a couple of crabs.

TIA
DJ
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

I kinda doubt he's still alive. We dumped the trap water and a little sand into a coffe can last night. We didn't know what to do with it!

Our clowns didn't bother the trap but I think it's the way my husband handled it. He fed them flake food then set the trap with a cube of mysis shrimp as bait. The fish were full and we soon turned out the light and they went to their conch/bed for the night. The shrimp was in the trap within an hour.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
We haven't seen our sleeper head golby all day. Is it possible the mantis killed him?
Anything's possible, but ordinarily the tyoes of mantis that kills crustaceans prefer them to fish, and vice-versa. THere are "smashers" and "spearers" among the many different species of mantis.

I tried the XTerminator trap that I got from drsfostersmith.com. I caught several crabs, but Iactually caught the mantis by seeing which rock it went into, pulling the rock out and dripping cool RO water into the hole.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had my mantis (about 3" now) in a small plastic animal tank - it has been in there for about 4 months now. I throw him an algae tablet or flake food every once in a while. I even gave him some lr. He's happy. I found a bad crab in the tank, and gave it to "popper" as a friend - heard the noise all the way across my house. It's incredible, but there was nothing left of the crab when popper was done with it. If I had a water proof 10 gallon tank, he'd be in there. They are incredibly interesting. I'd check the coffee can in the morning you might be surprised.
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
If hes still alive I'd pay shipping if you could send him to me.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:47 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

The "smashers" have club-like claws and mainly attack crustaceans and mollucs, whereas "spearers" have razor-sharp scalpel-like claws and mainly attack fish (shrimp too, but not so much harder-shelled crabs/snails/etc), but I wouldn't be surprised to see a smasher ambush a fish. The smashers are the ones that can crack tanks - my old animal behavior professor worked on mantis shrimp and had a few tank mishaps.
2 Pearl Gourami (m/f)
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
Rotala,Vallis,Crypt,Ambulia,Watersprite
Physa and Malaysian Trumpet snails
Biotoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:04 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

mantis shrimp

sorry, he didn't survive the cold MT night temps. My kids were scared of him so we had to put the container on the porch to get them to go to sleep! However it's possible there may be another one and I'd be happy to send it to you. How would I care for it?Can it be in a container with tank water and occasional food or does it need an airstone? I hope to not find another one but if I do he'll be on his way!

Tags
hose, mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com