Almost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4127john said:
Setup my live rock, live sand, and water now what

Add a cocktail shrimp to feed your tank ammonia. Keep testing the water parameters, keep lights off during cycle also.

Do you have a pic?

Are you using RO/DI water? And want salt mix are you using. Also what are you using to text the salinity?

Just put in the shrimp how long do I need to put it in. I use instant ocean. I'm not using ro water because I'm not planning to keep corals

4127john said:
Just put in the shrimp how long do I need to put it in. I use instant ocean. I'm not using ro water because I'm not planning to keep corals

Put a cocktail shrimp into a media bag or other type of net like bag and let it sit and rot. Start testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You'll see spikes ammonia and nitrites, then finally nitrates.

You don't need to do water changes at this point just keep testing. The cycle period could take weeks but some have cycled shorter then that.

Speaking from personal experience I never saw nitrites. I don't know why I just never did.

How much live rock are you using? That will help the cycle along. How much live sand? What size tank?

Hey also do you have pics? What type of system are you using? Power heads? Lights? Etc etc etc, a few pictures would be cool. Share your tank with us!!

image-892282350.jpg

The 20 gallon tank. So far there is about 10 pounds o live rock an 10 pounds of live sand the rest is white sand. No power heads.

4127john said:
The 20 gallon tank. So far there is about 10 pounds o live rock an 10 pounds of live sand the rest is white sand. No power heads.

You can add more live rock and your gonna want a power head or two. Do you want corals? Even with a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) will need current(power heads) the filter alone will not produce enough IMHO.

Oh I see I guess I'll add a power head once I have enough money. I'm not having corals at the moment and I think I'm getting more rock. Just taking my time cuz this is made expensive

4127john said:
Oh I see I guess I'll add a power head once I have enough money. I'm not having corals at the moment and I think I'm getting more rock. Just taking my time cuz this is made expensive

That's all, slow and steady is the key. Don't rush anything. Do everything the right way and it will pay off 10 fold in the end.

Back
Top Bottom