Almost done cycling what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dpizarrojr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am almost done with the cycling stage in my aquarium. I have a 55 gallon tank with about 80lbs of live rock. I was wondering what the next step should be? I am trying to build a reef tank. My LPS is saying I should start adding fish, but I was thinking of like a reef cleaner package( shrimp, snails crabs). You guys are the experts. Ay advice on what my next step should be? Fish, corals, shrimp?

Heyyy no problem!
What are you thinking about getting for your clean up crew and stock list?

I would get your clean up crew in there just supplement there diet for know till your tanks established

For the clean up crew, there is a website that offers a package. 30 scarlet reef hermits, 30 dwarf blue leg hermits, 30 Astraea turbo snails and 20 nassarius snails. As for a stocking list, I don't have one yet. Have been kinda taking step by step. Any advice?

For the clean up crew, there is a website that offers a package. 30 scarlet reef hermits, 30 dwarf blue leg hermits, 30 Astraea turbo snails and 20 nassarius snails. As for a stocking list, I don't have one yet. Have been kinda taking step by step. Any advice?
That is a huge cuc for a 55 gallon tank. You could probably do 1/4 and then add to it if need be. Most cuc die because they starve to death. I have about 5 blue legged crabs, 3 astraea snails, 1 turbo, and 4 to 6 nassarius in my 55 gallon and they are all doing fine with very little algae.

I have 2 peppermint shrimp in my 55 gallon my LFS guy told me I wouldn't want more than that in my tank and said wouldn't suggest getting any other cuc..

Yea now it's confusing. Don't want to get more than I neef

All of it is confusing just takes patience :) I've had mine up for 3 weeks now and have had my 2 clown fish an 2 shrimp for a week... I was told my tank was done cycled but then things shot up when added fish so wasn't now things are calm again and everything looks great :) goo luck w yours I seen the rock move looks real neat :)

Ya my cuc consists on 15 blue hermits 5 red hermits 2 white hermits a ruby and emerald crab 10 nessarius snails 2 margarita snails and 1 turbo with a few more inverts to add in my 46g and they do more then enough to keep the tank spotless

Mrc8858 said:
Ya my cuc consists on 15 blue hermits 5 red hermits 2 white hermits a ruby and emerald crab 10 nessarius snails 2 margarita snails and 1 turbo with a few more inverts to add in my 46g and they do more then enough to keep the tank spotless

WOW that's a lot... It I was to get some of the blue legged crabs how many would u suggest? And will they bother my shrimp? Or my shrimp bother them?

What I usually do is get a couple of snails to eat algae one of my favorites when I can get them is Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Banded Trochus Snail but I usually end up getting a couple of these Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Astraea Conehead Snail I don't care for them because they can't turn themselves over if a hermit decides to flip them over to get them. Then about 4 or 5 of these Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Super Tongan Nassarius Snail they eat left over food and do body clean up. Bristle worms are great and usually free when it comes to the clean up of dead bodies. I do like a couple of peppermint shrimp and a few hermit crabs I usually go with the little blue ones since they stay small and not a big threat to my snails. Emerald crabs can be a nice part of the cuc. Maybe if you want one turbo but they do eat a lot and knock things over when they get big. I have 2 tanks without crabs of any type in them and 2 with hermits. Having a cuc isn't necessary but I do like them.

J19Reynolds said:
WOW that's a lot... It I was to get some of the blue legged crabs how many would u suggest? And will they bother my shrimp? Or my shrimp bother them?

The blue legged hermist I'm pretty sure are the smallest of all the hermits and don't really bother anything at all and for a tank your size id probably just go with the same thing I have in mine honestly maybe a couple more blues.. mine will be done once I get my 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 randalls shrimp but you don't need all that for a successful tank I just like the diversity and action in the tank

Yeah, I ordered a clean up crew sold as a package and it was way too many. I would say about half would be more than you would ever need.

Back
Top Bottom