Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,571
It's a tough call. The velvet will not go away if there are still fish in the tank though. You could try to pull the rock and substrate and treat the tank with copper. It might be advisable to run a filter through a fishless cycle to help control ammonia if you go that route. But there's not really an easy way to do it.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
chevypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 333
Is velvet like ich where it'll only effect stressed or ill fish usually?


40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
x 1
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater
__________________

__________________
chevypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,571
Fish can resist it, but its way way way worse than ich. It's definitely not something I would let be and hope for the best with.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
Almost full tank crash

Sorry for stepping in late, but what makes you certain it was Velvet? My experience with MV is that it wipes out everything and it does so very fast. I would be surprised that a Tang would survive, as they tend to do poorly against most ailments. I'm just not sure I would assume it was Velvet without any signs other than fish died rapidly. Were any of these fish new additions?

If it was MV, then it will not just disappear. It is in there as long as the tank has fish. Fallow DT and treating the survivors is the only true solution.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Please ignore this post if you feel it to be irrelevant, you say you were gone for a day? A work day or overnighter? Could someone have exposed the tank or sump? Cleaning personnel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Sorry for stepping in late, but what makes you certain it was Velvet? My experience with MV is that it wipes out everything and it does so very fast. I would be surprised that a Tang would survive, as they tend to do poorly against most ailments. I'm just not sure I would assume it was Velvet without any signs other than fish died rapidly. Were any of these fish new additions?

If it was MV, then it will not just disappear. It is in there as long as the tank has fish. Fallow DT and treating the survivors is the only true solution.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Well, then what was it? Exposure to toxins from an outside source would kill everything including the coral, ich would be very very visible, Bacterial is a possibility but it's very rare that a bacterial infection would act this fast on 2 different fish at the same time, it definitely wasn't fungal, Internal parasites wouldn't kill 2 fish in this quickly of a period of time without outward symptoms, and other external parasites are more visible. Please, if you disagree that it's something offer some other ideas as to what it might be.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Well, then what was it? Exposure to toxins from an outside source would kill everything including the coral, ich would be very very visible, Bacterial is a possibility but it's very rare that a bacterial infection would act this fast on 2 different fish at the same time, it definitely wasn't fungal, Internal parasites wouldn't kill 2 fish in this quickly of a period of time without outward symptoms, and other external parasites are more visible. Please, if you disagree that it's something offer some other ideas as to what it might be.


All joking aside, did the fish appear to have a whiteish coating at all? That would definitely prove it is velvet


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
DIZZLE808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 283
I agree with Todd on this one. MV would've definitely wiped out everybody. my tank went through a velvet outbreak about a year ago and wiped out all my fish in about 2 days. Very nasty stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
55g
DIZZLE808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,571
Just because it wiped out all of your fish definitely doesn't mean it always wipes out every fish in the tank. I just personally lost a tang and Wrasse to a veelvet outbreak while my 2 clowns, coral beauty, pink spot goby, and starry blenny are still alive and well.


Again, if you don't think its velvet I would love to hear some other suggestions.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Just because it wiped out all of your fish definitely doesn't mean it always wipes out every fish in the tank. I just personally lost a tang and Wrasse to a veelvet outbreak while my 2 clowns, coral beauty, pink spot goby, and starry blenny are still alive and well.


Again, if you don't think its velvet I would love to hear some other suggestions.

I had velvet brake out in my tank too, and had a goby survive. Still alive and well.
Velvet IME works in weird ways.

What we really need is more info from the OP.
Did the fish have any markings?
A white covering?
__________________

__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tank, tank crash

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recovering from an almost full loss Cardex Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 04-09-2013 03:24 PM
Almost a full cycle in 26 days m0stUniQue Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 09-01-2011 12:16 AM
Xenia Causing a Tank Crash AndyH5512 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 8 10-04-2005 05:20 PM
South American Tank Crash - Urgent AdamsZoological Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 09-28-2003 06:44 PM
Major tank crash Hara Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 05-12-2003 11:50 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.