Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's a tough call. The velvet will not go away if there are still fish in the tank though. You could try to pull the rock and substrate and treat the tank with copper. It might be advisable to run a filter through a fishless cycle to help control ammonia if you go that route. But there's not really an easy way to do it.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is velvet like ich where it'll only effect stressed or ill fish usually?

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater

Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fish can resist it, but its way way way worse than ich. It's definitely not something I would let be and hope for the best with.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Almost full tank crash

Sorry for stepping in late, but what makes you certain it was Velvet? My experience with MV is that it wipes out everything and it does so very fast. I would be surprised that a Tang would survive, as they tend to do poorly against most ailments. I'm just not sure I would assume it was Velvet without any signs other than fish died rapidly. Were any of these fish new additions?

If it was MV, then it will not just disappear. It is in there as long as the tank has fish. Fallow DT and treating the survivors is the only true solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please ignore this post if you feel it to be irrelevant, you say you were gone for a day? A work day or overnighter? Could someone have exposed the tank or sump? Cleaning personnel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Sorry for stepping in late, but what makes you certain it was Velvet? My experience with MV is that it wipes out everything and it does so very fast. I would be surprised that a Tang would survive, as they tend to do poorly against most ailments. I'm just not sure I would assume it was Velvet without any signs other than fish died rapidly. Were any of these fish new additions?

If it was MV, then it will not just disappear. It is in there as long as the tank has fish. Fallow DT and treating the survivors is the only true solution.

Well, then what was it? Exposure to toxins from an outside source would kill everything including the coral, ich would be very very visible, Bacterial is a possibility but it's very rare that a bacterial infection would act this fast on 2 different fish at the same time, it definitely wasn't fungal, Internal parasites wouldn't kill 2 fish in this quickly of a period of time without outward symptoms, and other external parasites are more visible. Please, if you disagree that it's something offer some other ideas as to what it might be.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Well, then what was it? Exposure to toxins from an outside source would kill everything including the coral, ich would be very very visible, Bacterial is a possibility but it's very rare that a bacterial infection would act this fast on 2 different fish at the same time, it definitely wasn't fungal, Internal parasites wouldn't kill 2 fish in this quickly of a period of time without outward symptoms, and other external parasites are more visible. Please, if you disagree that it's something offer some other ideas as to what it might be.

All joking aside, did the fish appear to have a whiteish coating at all? That would definitely prove it is velvet

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with Todd on this one. MV would've definitely wiped out everybody. my tank went through a velvet outbreak about a year ago and wiped out all my fish in about 2 days. Very nasty stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just because it wiped out all of your fish definitely doesn't mean it always wipes out every fish in the tank. I just personally lost a tang and Wrasse to a veelvet outbreak while my 2 clowns, coral beauty, pink spot goby, and starry blenny are still alive and well.

Again, if you don't think its velvet I would love to hear some other suggestions.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Just because it wiped out all of your fish definitely doesn't mean it always wipes out every fish in the tank. I just personally lost a tang and Wrasse to a veelvet outbreak while my 2 clowns, coral beauty, pink spot goby, and starry blenny are still alive and well.

Again, if you don't think its velvet I would love to hear some other suggestions.

I had velvet brake out in my tank too, and had a goby survive. Still alive and well.
Velvet IME works in weird ways.

What we really need is more info from the OP.
Did the fish have any markings?
A white covering?

Tags
tan, tank, tank crash

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com