Almost full tank crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were three fish who died.

No visible signs at all in the fish, it was an overnight (a full 24 hours), no one came into the house while we were gone.

The clowns and hippo tang were new about 3 weeks ago, they came from another hobbiests. The tang who is still kicking is one of those fish, the one who died was my first fish who I've had for a couple months now. It possibly is 4 fish who died, because my royal gramma is still missing :(

No one was sick at all before I left, no laboured breathing, no acting weird, nothing.

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater

I've come across velvet twice already in the last few years and both times there were signs of a white type coating on the fish. And both times only half the fish died. What i did with the big tank when this happened was to leave the fish that were left in there and I did not add any more fish for over two months. Luckily, it never came back to that tank, knock on wood.

It's hard to say that this was in fact velvet that took out most of your fish, but it is probably the best answer you may find. I know it sounds heartless, but these things do in fact happen in the hobby. We've all had the mysterious fish deaths and it really stinks. I would leave the fish for now and observe. If they survived the first round then it is possible that they will make it longterm. from what I have seen, velvet kills a tank and then moves on to who knows where. This is only my experience though. I wish I had more answers or something else helpful to say.

Really sorry to hear about the fish passing, I can tell you I know the feeling.

It was just so devastating because my kole tang was so shy when I bought him, and it was just at the point he'd come up and take food from me and come give the glass "kisses" if I stuck my face to it. The clowns didn't really upset as much, I hadn't had them that long. But the tang was a huge hit, I even debated just shutting down my tank and walking away (luckily my boyfriend convinced me that this has always been my dream and that I'm gonna lose a few). It just sucks because I've never lost a freshwater fish since being in the hobby, and they've been through hell and back with me. It was just a big hit to lose any fish, let alone my salties.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405612948.587329.jpg

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater

I lost two tangs in my first velvet outbreak. Along with my anthias's and most everything else. The two survivors were a yellow tang and a pink spotted goby. I still have the goby lol, he's my oldest fish. But yeah, for some reason we take the loss of a tang so hard, I guess because of their personality, they really do become like a family member.
I too was convinced that I should shut down the tank and just bail but I got thru that and am really really glad I didnt. :) It just takes some time. I will say I am sooo careful now with fish and coral after the velvet, it has made me paranoid. lol I felt helpless when it hit but thats how velvet works. It kills quick and leaves little behind in it's wake.

Back
Top Bottom