Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Almost Ready?

My ammonia drops around 2-3ppm a night down to 1ppm

Salalinity level= 1.024
Nitrite = .5ppm
Nitrate= 80-160ppm

am i close to be able to actually putting fish in? and when will the nitrate go down

Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Noooooooooo!!!!!! Do your nitrates are way high!! They should be below 10 at the highest. If you try to put a fish in it will die in less then a week

Old 03-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should have absolutely no ammonia or nitrItes at all. I'm not sure about the nitrAte range for saltwater, I'm a freshwater girl myself, but yours is excessively high. I agree, any fish that you put in there would get sick best scenario, or die, worst scenario. Either way, any fish in those conditions would be very ill, and would be in a ton of pain. Your cycle isn't finished yet.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you done any research on how a tank cycles????? Because you seem a little under prepared to set up and maintain a saltwater aquarium
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFishman
Have you done any research on how a tank cycles????? Because you seem a little under prepared to set up and maintain a saltwater aquarium
I agree.

To the OP: do a lot more research before putting ANYTHING in that tank. Saltwater fish in my understating are pretty sensitive. Don't put any in until your cycle is COMPLETE.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i was just posting the fact that my nitrites were shrinking i just figured i was half of the way there. i am not a moron i did my research. This is month 1 after beginning my fish-less cycle i am not running to the [moderator edit] store tomorrow to throw some random fish in an un-cycled tank. Furthermore, your not supposed to let your ammonia fall to 0 because then the bacteria have nothing to feed off of. i was simply trying to get an estimation of how much longer i have before my nitrate falls
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ammonia and nitrites need to be 0. As soon as they are there then do a PWC and that will drop your nitrates down some. If you are talking just putting fish in there you will be OK with nitrates. Just work on it with less feedings and PWC`s and you`ll get it down. Zero is the goal but is not obtainable at the beginning. But with work it can be done.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

from what i have read everyone states not to let ammonia fall to zero i have been dosing back up just the way the article states.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have never herd of doing that.... Just sayin
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I for example used a raw shrimp for my fishless cycle like a lot of others do. While the source is still around giving off ammonia, it should read zero because the bacteria are doing their job converting it to nitrites. And then more bacteria to convert that to nitrates. So yeah, Ammonia and Nitrites 0, then big water change to get the Nitrates down to a level that fish can handle. At that point, slowly add fish to give the bacteria time to adjust to the bioload. Can you give some details, for example, tank size, sand depth, lbs of LR, how much ammonia you are dosing to feed the cycle..etc.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com