almost ready to add water.. few last minute questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nahh, no concerns about it.
at least not from me anyway

no washroom sink either

It fits there just fine, it's plumbed into the bathroom sink on the other side of the wall.

I have the final output going into a tee with a line on one side going to a float switch and solenoid from autotopoff.com and the other side of the tee has a ball valve and about twelve foot of hose coiled up there. I will use the coiled hose to fill a trashcan up with water and then roll the trashcan back outside and let it cook the saltwater up.

I figured I had the room under the stand and the sink was right there, so why no just do it that way. So far so good.

On another note, I checked the chocolate milkified trashcan with the tds meter and it registered 162. I checked the other trashcand and it registered 108. the water still left in the tank registered 106. I've since dumped all water and have resolved not to put my (apparently) grubby hands in the water without wearing the gloves I bought.

so I'm refilling from the rodi unit right now...

if I wasn't working I think I'd just go to the water and ice store and buy all of it for $15 right now... over the course of several trips

oh well, it'll fill... eventually

nahh, no concerns about it.
at least not from me anyway

Not trying to critisize, just trying to help. I'm still no clear about your plan for the waste water again? it fills a jug and you dump it? It's about 4-5x the amount of good water it produces.

hey, criticize away, I may miss a lot every now and then otherwise. :)

this time though I think I'm ok.

the waste water is plumbed into the drain of the bathroom sink
my next project after this will be to relocate the drain line to a cistern outside.

then as the kids today say

it's all goodly

wait... maybe they don't say that, i don't know any kids

another two hours and I make the first of many trips to the water and ice store to get this project moving

15 gallons at a time

another two hours and I make the first of many trips to the water and ice store to get this project moving
15 gallons at a time
Well you will be buying a RO/DI soon. I could not imagine doing my tank like that.

he's got an RO/DI....just isn't into waiting. I can't blame him....I was the same way. I emptied all the bottled water we had on my start up along with running the RO. Wife wasn't happy about that one.....oh well...you live and learn. I do alot of learning with her.

Ryan

heh

i do lots of the learning every day

yeah, I'm just anxious... too many things have slowed me down this week, so I really just want to get this going

plus, you buy 50 gallons and you get 5 free, plus a free snow cone

it's 91 outside... i think a sno-cone® would hit the spot

**EDIT**
the kent marine guy replied with my asking about using silicone in the overflow and said that that would work... so thats what I did

Whee, I gots me some waters and salts in the tank and it's a percolatin'!

I have a Supreme Mag Drive 9.5 as a return pump and it's vibrating like a crazy thing thats... well, crazy against the sump wall.

Any suggestions on how to quiet it?

I was thinking about wrapping it in foam or sponge or something so it's not directly vibrating against the acrylic, but wasn't sure what else might be done.

Any other ideas?

I have water.... wheeeeeeeeeee!

The 9.5 didn't come with a rubber/foamish pad? My 12 did, but my 7's didn't.

How about any of your excess rubber suction cup thingys? Just a thought.

The man's got water ya'll!!! :D

you know, i knew there was a reason i saved the box in garage

unfortunately i am in the office today and not telecommuting like usual, so i can't go looky right now, but i do believe you may be right. if not, sponge and a zip tie might be in the works

haha.. i knew there was a reason i donated money to this site, so people could point out the obvious to me since i miss it so easily! :)

If you do not have the foam pad in the box I would try a piece of filter material instead of foam. Depends on the sponge you are referring too. Some manufactures use a chemical on the sponge so it will not harden when dry.

my lfs sells 'sponge-like' material that is probably a filter, i just am using the wrong terminology again

so i'll stop by there tonight and pick up a foot of it just in case

How long should it take for all the salt to break down in the tank? I have the whole system circulating and both powerheads running yet this AM i still had a little bit laying on the floor of the tank. Is it normal for it to take a while to break down like that?

How long should it take for all the salt to break down in the tank?
That all depends on the amount of circulation. I am sure you are aware of this but in the future always mix SW in a separate container.

yup, have the brute garbage can cleaned out with heater & powerhead ready for pwc water

i just figured if the tank was empty then mixing it in the tank was ok

stick your mitt in there and give the bottom a quick stir to get the salts waterbourne. Or, throw a powerhead on the floor of the tank.

Refractometer is telling me it's at 1.023
Temperature is at 80
Flux capacitor, fluxing

The MagDrive 9.5 doesn't come with a base pad to sit on, so I'll be going and picking up some foam to wrap it in. I'll also redo one of the hoses so it's not pulling the pump against the side of the sump as much. After that, turn on the skimmer and see if it blows up. I turned it off as it was really noisey. Well, the pump was anyway. I wanted to solve one noise problem at a time.

I'll siphon off some water tonight and add my sand and base rock.

whee!

have the pvc in the garage... just hope i dont forget it in the am

wife had an ultrasound today and found a blood clot after having her gall bladder out last week... that slowed me down a bit today as far as the tank goes...
long as she doesn't have to go to the ER, i'll keep on truckin' in the am

have to remember to put in the filter in the am to catch all the excess sand

Back
Top Bottom