Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-29-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Almost ready to start a 55 gallon reef

Well I have Read and Read and I don't know if this is going to work. I think I have info over load. Could some one tell me if this set up would work?

First I think im going to try a plenum I know some people say not to but I think with proper care the ability to have very low nitrates is worth it.

I will be ordering the prizm pro deluxe skimmer witch is rated for 300 gallon tanks and also has a surface skimmer and carbon chamber is this a good choice?

For lighting I am going to get JBJ Power Compact Double-Strip Kit (48" Kit produces 260 watts) witch has 2- 10K Daylight & 2- 7100K Actinic Blue. I think this will allow me to keep low light and moderate light corals. Is this thinking correct?

Lastly the live rock I am thinking of about 45 lbs of Select Lalo Live Rock uncured and some base rock. I know this is not much live rock but with a plenum witch will help with biofitration would I need alot. Is this thinking correct?

I plan on getting all the test kits I need 2 150 watt heaters 80 pounds of substrate for a 4inch bed over the plenum and an air pump.

For fish a couple of Clowns,Yellow Tang,Royal Gramma,Star fish and a clean up crew.

Thanks, Bob

55 Gallon

1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Bubble tip
2 Tomato Clowns
hardparts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I would skip the plenum idea and go with more rock....the plenum idea seems to be getting more outdated as many hobbyists are using LR for their biological filtration with power heads and such for water movement. You should have between 1 1/4 pds to 1 3/4 pds of live rock per gallon. Your lighting is fine IMO and you may be able to get some higher light corals if set high in the tank. Your skimmer is a good choice as is your fish selection.

emorrison33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Everything really looks good. I agree that you should skip the plenum idea. I think you may have some problems with this in the future...especially since you are new at this.

Lastly, you did not mention a Ro/Di unit and a QT. The QT is essential and the Ro/Di...hell, I am going to say that that is almost essential as well.
demodiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
More rock looks way better anyways.

"I will be ordering the prizm pro deluxe skimmer witch is rated for 300 gallon tanks and also has a surface skimmer and carbon chamber is this a good choice?"

You may look into the coral life super skimmer 65, it's the same price and it will dominate the prizm.
37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com