Almost ready to start a 55 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardparts2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I have Read and Read and I don't know if this is going to work. I think I have info over load. Could some one tell me if this set up would work?

First I think im going to try a plenum I know some people say not to but I think with proper care the ability to have very low nitrates is worth it.

I will be ordering the prizm pro deluxe skimmer witch is rated for 300 gallon tanks and also has a surface skimmer and carbon chamber is this a good choice?

For lighting I am going to get JBJ Power Compact Double-Strip Kit (48" Kit produces 260 watts) witch has 2- 10K Daylight & 2- 7100K Actinic Blue. I think this will allow me to keep low light and moderate light corals. Is this thinking correct?

Lastly the live rock I am thinking of about 45 lbs of Select Lalo Live Rock uncured and some base rock. I know this is not much live rock but with a plenum witch will help with biofitration would I need alot. Is this thinking correct?

I plan on getting all the test kits I need 2 150 watt heaters 80 pounds of substrate for a 4inch bed over the plenum and an air pump.

For fish a couple of Clowns,Yellow Tang,Royal Gramma,Star fish and a clean up crew.

Thanks, Bob

I would skip the plenum idea and go with more rock....the plenum idea seems to be getting more outdated as many hobbyists are using LR for their biological filtration with power heads and such for water movement. You should have between 1 1/4 pds to 1 3/4 pds of live rock per gallon. Your lighting is fine IMO and you may be able to get some higher light corals if set high in the tank. Your skimmer is a good choice as is your fish selection.

Everything really looks good. I agree that you should skip the plenum idea. I think you may have some problems with this in the future...especially since you are new at this.

Lastly, you did not mention a Ro/Di unit and a QT. The QT is essential and the Ro/Di...hell, I am going to say that that is almost essential as well.

More rock looks way better anyways.

"I will be ordering the prizm pro deluxe skimmer witch is rated for 300 gallon tanks and also has a surface skimmer and carbon chamber is this a good choice?"

You may look into the coral life super skimmer 65, it's the same price and it will dominate the prizm.

Back
Top Bottom