Almost there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright guys, these next couple questions are just about the most important in my current position. My live rock will arrive on tuesday, so i have to have a couple things down before it gets here.

My salinity is at 1.025. This good to keep it at? Its been 1.025 for the past three days, so its stat. My temp ranges anywhere from 78-82 degrees. Only because my room fluctuates drastically in temperature. My room gets the most heat in the entire house because tis directly in the path of the sun. Good news for that is, i have my own Stand-Alone air conditioning unit for the room. Another great thing is, i got home and the temp was 84 degrees.. i turn the A/C on and 3 minutes later its down to 78. So whenever its a hot day im going to put the A/C on. 3 minutes is fast! Tested it twice just to make sure. And i have a thermometer that goes in the water not the strip on the glass. With that temp thing on hand, are those good temps to stay between? 78-82?

Another question is, after i put the salt mix in, how long is the water supposed to stay cloudy for? Its been cloudy for maybe two days, but i started seeing some improvement when i got home today.

Alright thats about it. Any suggestions/ideas/expertise would be nice. Thanks in advance.

hmm ive heard from a few freinds that use that brand that there water is cloudy. i say ditch it once you finish it all and get another brand.

i use kent sea salt

woot! 300th post!

Well what could the reason be that the water is cloudy? I highly doubt that it is the oceanic brand salt mix. Could it be my substrate? Even though i rinsed it thoroughly...

well did it turn that color after you added the salt?
check your parameters.

and when did you add the substrate?

I know that my water was cloudy for about 2-3 days and I think it was my substrate even though I did rinse it.

I did premix the salt in with the water in buckets and then put it in the tank. Could that be a factor??

I have had the sand in there a long time ago. But i doubt its the sand either because when i had just water and sand in my tank there was no cloudiness AT ALL. I think i may have figured out the problem tho, i dont have any filtration lol. My filter isnt hooked up to anything, and my skimmer isnt running either. I think thats why its still cloudy lolol

Also, i dont really think it matters where i mix it. It would be the same thing as mixing it in a bucket. I have just water and sand in my tank..

fist let me ask you this.

did you first put the substrate in, then fill it with water, then add salt?
if so, when did it actually become cloudy?

I put the substrate in, then like a week later i added RO/DI water. Then the next day i added in the salt. It became cloudy after i put in the salt.

Because first off, i have no filter bags because i am putting LR rubble in the filter. And i dont need to have my skimmer on because well.. theres nothing to skim! lol. There isnt anything making waste so it would be pointless to put it on.

Yeah i know, thats what i figured. But still, i have nothing to put in the filter. I mean its on, but its just pumping out water. Nothings getting cleaned lol. I was putting LR rubble in there so i sorta have to wait until the LR gets here to do that lolol.

Hello, Just to get you started off you are doing everything fine. Your salinity will change from time to time but for now 1.025 is good to keep it at. Are you planning on having a FOWLR or Reef Tank? Your water temperature will raise and lower throughout the day if you are having high temperature in your room I would lower your thermometer to about 74-78 degress at least you will still get some heat from your lighting fixture. Also with mixing your Salt Mix make sure you are mixing your water 24hr prior to adding it to your system this will insure you'll have your salt mixed properly mixed. I use Oceanic and it has done a great job for me. But with it being cloudy just give it a few days it will clear up. HTH (y)

OH, alright thanks. Btw, what i meant was my salinity was 1.022.5 rofl. Not 1.025. Thats sort of high. xD Also my tank is going to be reef. And it is a 55G.

Back
Top Bottom