Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just curious to know if in fact the white dots are pods since Marty did not add anything to his water except salt. There was no LR or LS in the tank when he saw the dots or the film on the glass.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_wolff
i added live sand to the tank
They could have come from there.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #13

-i just added the sand about two hour ago.... could something have contaminated the water, like an airborn thing. Have not changed any of the water in over a month btw.
-are aquarium covers recomended?
-any general advice i need before i start buying the rest of my equipment?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Sometimes, if you buy the actual LS, I imagine you can get some pods or other critters, assuming the bag hasn't been sitting on a shelf/shipping truck or anything like that, for a while. In this case, it might just be small shells or other things, but could be "pods".
I don't like covers. It can cause low pH or heat issues.
As for further equipment, what do you already have?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:47 AM   #15

nothing much, just a hydrometer, one powerhead, 150 watt heater, no lights, no overflow, gonna start working on the sump tomorrow, need a different thermometer. about 110 lbs of sand 20 lbs base rock ( no live yet) i am very patient so i want to get mostly baserock and add a couple lbs live and wait for it to seed throughout the tank. the bag of live sand sat around for 2 months after i bought it so there was pretty much nothing but algae. planning on getting compact fleurescent lighting(no cover, will i have to worry about fish or inverts jumping out, or other stuff getting in.)

how do red gorgonians do in captivity?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
what exactaly do protien skimmers do?
Skimmers remove DOC from the water. Molecules bind to the mirco bubbles produced by the skimmer and are removed to the collection cup for disposal. If you have ever been to the beach you may have noticed a line of foam where the waves crash into the sand or around turbulent rockwork. As the wave crash, they mix with air and and natural skimming takes place.

A good skimmer is one of the best things you can do for your tank. However, they are not really needed during set-up and cycle (no DOC to skim) so you can save some money in the begining. Add one at the 6-8 week mark.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #17

how can you tell if a skimmer is right for your tank?

im planning on eventually having 2 percula clowns and a yellow tang, so not a huge bio-load.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do a little reading on skimmers there are some rated for your size tank. I like an in-sump or below the tank design, others like HOB style. There are a lot of very good skimmers out there but you are going to have to spend a little money on them. You will probably find a better deal on a skimmer online then you will at a pet store. If you are worried about your fish jumping out of the tank one option is to use eggcrate from Lowes or Home Depot to cover the tank. It doesn't block O2 exchange and keeps your fish in. One thing I would recommend is to buy an additional heater. Having too will keep the one from working too hard and you will have a backup in case the one craps out. I run 3 heaters in my tank just in case.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #19

the heater idea sounds great. with one i feel that it doesnt keep teh temperature as steady as i would like it.

this is probably a dumb question but can live sand turn base rock into live rock?

how accurate are hydrometers? because i add salt until i get to 1.023 but then it always drops .001 or more.

what size pump (GPH) should i get for my return sump pump?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use a hydrometer for my tank.....1.023-1.026 will work for a reef tank. I keep mine around 1.024. When are you seeing a drop of .001?

The GPH of your return pump will depend on the GPH of your overflow. I have a 72g Bow which is 48" long just like your 55 it's a bit taller and wider then yours but the same length. My stand is custom built and is 38" high, the top of the tank is 61" off the floor. I use 2 660gph (1320gph) pumps as return pumps for my tank because of the 61" I get about 900gph of flow into my tank. I have a dual overflow that is rated at 1200-1400 gph. So my return pums are not even close to the water flow that my overflow can handle. I'm happy, for now, with the amount of flow I have going through my sump/fuge. You need to know the head height of the pump you are going to buy. If you have to pump 4' straight up and you want 600gph at that height you will have to buy a pump that will move that amount of water at that height. Make sense?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com