alqae or what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like precipitate, possibly from the algae fix to me. Either that or diatoms.

To determine a cause, let's start first with your tank:

How big is it?
How long has it been setup?
What is it stocked with?

What is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate testing at?

What is your phosphate testing at?

Are you using RODI water or tap water, or buying water from the store?

What kind of lighting do you use on the tank, and how long per day?

Is this a reef tank?

What equipment are you using? Filter? Skimmer?

I have a 55gal long its been up for about 9 months we got turbo and nassarius snails and blue legged hermit crabs a yellow tang, angel fish two cardinals and a chrome something fish...all levels are good except for phosphate I dont have a test for that....we use tap water but I use prime for that ...our ballast just went out on the flourecent setup we had so now we have a marineland single bright led setup..used to be 8 hours a day when the flourecent light was setup but with the led setup its on 10 to 11 hrs a day cause I don't think its bright enough...no its not a reef tank and I use only a Skimmer......did I get all that fort...???

Yup. So lets start with nitrates. What level are they testing at?

Now I test my tank at least once a week and usually they are where they need to be.....nitrates around 2.0 ppm

Its hard for me to tell cause I have only a color chart...

ForumRunner_20130306_225638.jpg

Ok. That's low enough. Of course it could just mean your algae is sucking up the nitrates.

I recommend getting a Po4 test kit.

You said you have a sump right? And what kind of skimmer?

Yes thats right .....a coral life super Skimmer 65gal

Ok. I am going to recommend getting a PO4 test kit. Also perhaps growing some macro algae in the sump will help to starve the DT of nutrients. All you would need is a light. Those clip on work lights with a spiral cfl in the 6000k range would so nicely.

Also do I need to put that light on a timer on can it stay on all the time

You can get macro algae from other members. I could ship you some in a few weeks. I just trimmed mine and sent a bunch to a different member so mine needs to grow out a bit.

You can time the light to run opposite the display tank or leave it on 24 hours a day.

The po4 kit is around 20-25$ I believe.

OK so how long will it take till I can get some....and do I have to pay you

I think so, 10-11 hours for the LEDS? I run mine for 7. Also, get your hands on some better water, tap water has no place in a saltwater tank In my opinion. For long term it's worth investing In a ro-di system for your home, but for now can you buy some from your LFS? And do a big water change...

Oh and it's a fish only tank right? No corals? Then it doesn't really matter how long your lights are on for, fish don't mind so much :)

Back
Top Bottom