Already have a FW tank.. but I really love Clownfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SPARTAN VI

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I already have a FW community tank. Currently 10 gallons and will be upping to 60-70 gallons next month. The thing is, I have a real soft spot for Percula Clownfish. I'd like to pick up a 30 gallon, place it in my bedroom, and drop a couple clownfish in there.

Still relatively new with FW tanks, I don't want to rush things and end up killing the precious little guys, so I have all the patience in the world to perform a fishless cycle. Afterall, I still have my FW guys to tend to anyway.

SW setups seem a little intimidating, I mean, not only do I have to worry about everything the FW fishies worry about, NH, NO2, NO3, pH, hardness, but now salinity and gravity?! I bet there's more!

So how should I go about setting up the fishless cycle?

1. The DIYs I've read don't really go into detail as to when to add coral or anemones and their water quality needs. Do I add these at the same time of decor/liverock/etc?

2. Couldn't really find detailed profiles on Clownfish either, how many could comfortably live in a 30 gallon. I'd like to have at least two.

3. Can they peacefully share the same anemone? How many per anemone?

4. Post pictures of your set ups! I'd love to see your perky clowns!

ok, i am relatively new to saltwater, but i will try my best to answer.

1- Your tank needs to be fully cycled before you add coral or anemones because they are living creatures and will be affected by bad water quality.

2-Clowns are territorial, so i would say only go with two.

3- They claim anemones as their territory, so one clownfish per anemone enless you have a mated pair (I think it is best to bu proven mated pairs, even if it is more expensive)

4- I have one ocellaris clownfish (aka false percula, aka the nemo kindof clownfish (i know you salties hate hearing NEMO!) :) Its a new reef, so its not complete yet, hence the emptiness. Are you sure you were thinking of percula

img_817923_0_eb1e18b8dfefcb732950ec4e0eca5908.jpg

img_817923_1_afa0cb06f7b92a4e72b3b0e556d39f86.jpg

img_817923_2_725c43d68db1455338cf33ccfd455649.jpg

Specific gravity (spg) is a broad-based measurement (hydrometer) in relation to salinity (refractometer, titrations, etc).

1. Clownfish do not require a host anemone or coral in order to survive. You do have quite a bit of research ahead of you before diving into coral and anemone husbandry. Do have a look into wetwebmedia.com and possibly a couple books such as "Conscientious Marine Aquarist," by Fenner and/or "The Reef Aquarium" vol. 1-3, by Delbeek/Sprung. To answer your question in general, your tank needs to cycle first and foremost and the easiest way to do this is through uncured liverock. Your cycle will last anywhere from 2-4wks. I do not recommend coral or anemones until basic aquarium husbandry is somewhat understood.

2. Only a pair of clownfish.

3. Most anemones should be kept to a single specie tank. They are not required to keep clownfish.

Waterpond, thanks! That's definitely the one! I love that glowing orange. :)

Innovator, I was at Barnes & Nobles today but didn't read your post until just now! I picked up The Saltwater Aquarium Handbook by George Blasiola. Something for me to read during my breaks at work.

What sized tank would you guys recommend? The owner of my LFS recommended a 12gallon Nanocube to house two Clownfish.

I have a Perc in a 10 gal reef . I think you could do two in a 12gal nanocube . My biggest advice for anyone setting up a nano reef is try to set up some kind of refugium . It helps with stablizing water chemistry and (my experience) eliminates ntrates even in a heavily stocked tank .

For a small tank - I just go to the local grocery store they sell RO water for 4 bucks / 5 gal jug . I keep a jug always on hand for top ups . IMO Having your own RO system is cost effective if you can't get water near by or use alot more water than I do .

You might want to check out our SW nano forum and get great ideas from those that do it.

Back
Top Bottom