Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Originally Posted by SCFatz
Devilish...did you also add an ammonia source or did the sand and ucured rock provide the die off as well as the bacteria to jump the cycle?

I'm going to start a new thread about fw/sw bacteria transfer just for exposure to the question...the answer seems to be probably not...but the why will go a long way to my understanding...or at least I think it will.
I relied soley on the bacteria in the rock and sand, and dieoff to cycle the tank. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but adding a dead shrimp or two will do the same thing.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok...thanks all.As many may have noticed the bacteria is different (see the other thread) so it will me a new cycle.

The initial post was about my bud getting a tank this weekend.
Well he has and its just 20g.

If this were a fish only sw setup...what are the population options/suggestions?

50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak
Scanning through liveaquaria's site will give you some idea of what the options are. With a 20 gallon, you are not quite limited to the nano fish category, but there is not going to be much else to choose from.

EDIT: While the fish selection is limited, don't forget the invertebrates which I for one find just as enjoyable, especially the shrimp.

cplawrence is offline   Reply With Quote

freshwater, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com