Alternative to Amquel Plus (PHEW!)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitalbabe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
We've had several tanks for years and we recently changed the water in them. It seems like this Amquel stinks worse than it ever did before, and now our rooms have that putrid "rotten egg" smell (sulfur). Can anyone recommend a different chemical for water changes? I thought I read somewhere that they used to make Amquel (without the plus), and the "plus" adds the stink?

Anyway as funny as this is, we need to use something different-it took us all day to get rid of the smell in one room-LOL!

Thanks!
Sariena

Don't we need something to get rid of the chlorine, when we do water changes? We have 6 tanks-some large. Realistically I am not sure I can change them all every month (we usually change them every 2 months), but even if I did, I always thought you needed something when you initially add water? Thanks for your help!:)

Oh OK you are using tap water. IMO tap is not prefered for SW tanks. Some use it but alot dont. I would suggest you get an RO/DI unit for your SW tanks. When I get home I`ll post a link why you should not use tap.

OMG-I am a newbie in this forum-I just realized I am in the wrong forum. I don't have saltwater tanks, sorry! I will move:)

Well Prime is an alternative, but it has the same sort of smell so I don't think that is going to help you. I suspect almost anything that neutralizeds chlorine and chloramines is going to be a sulfur-based product (it's via an organic redox reaction) so you're going to essentially have the same problem with any product, I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom